3608 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL2024 hardware error

Ahmed el feki
Occasional Contributor

MSL2024 hardware error

Hi gents,

i'm facing a problem with my autoloader MSL2024, when i try to move the tape from the slot to the drive (i'm using Hp storageworks library and tapes tools V 4.2) i got the following error.
<i have tried to move the tapes using the web interface and i got this error (code 8A45 Occured).
I have found a way to figure it out temporary is by power cycling the robot and it works for one or two moves maximum then it hangs again and i get the same error.

I belive that something is wrong there.

Many thnaks for your replay.

Ahmed El feki
10 REPLIES 10
LTT Team
Valued Contributor

Hello Ahmed,

There is a "Force Tape Eject Utility"
under the tests. Please try it.
If this does not work, please try
an Assessment test and Library exerciser test and send the EventLog.ltt and ResultLog.ltt with a support ticket to ltt.team@hp.com

LTT Support Team
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

If this is a new install. The robot has a shipping lock on the top of the unit. Please read your manual on how to remove this lock and resume MSL 2024 functionality.
Ahmed el feki
Occasional Contributor

It's not a new installation
have been removed since the first day.
Thanks,
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

This particular error is almost always due to a tight release spring. Some changes have been made to improve tolerances. Units that have the problem can almost always be made to work by removing the magazine and moving the tape in/out of the slot where the failure occurred several times.

The codes to key off of are 8a and 45. Or if you are using the detailed view in the web interface or looking at an L&TT support ticket: "slider blocked" and "error during third slider movement."

The slider is the part that does the push/pull operation and the third slider movement is the step getting the tape out of the slot.

The testing with this library was done almost exclusively with HP media and we have found that some non-HP media has subtle differences that cause it to need higher pull forces. If you are using non-HP media the problem may be resolved by switching to HP media.
Tom Gregory_1
Advisor

Hello Ahmed,

I am the HP engineer that wrote you an email regarding your problem. I now think that your media (tapes) maybe held too strongly by the Magazine. This problem has recently been detected on certain type of LTO tape media. Until HP is able to provide a new firmware version, you should be able to function with out error if each of media is manually moved in and out of the magazine slot many times. This process will modify an unwanted feature on the edge of the media cartridge shell and will allow your library to operate with out further errors.

Thank you. Please feel free to reply to my earlier email if you require more information.

Todd Bowden
Valued Contributor

I have 2 MSL4048 libraries and constantly get the following message when initializing tapes:

07.08.07 07:44:13.22 Library Error - HE: slider blocked
Global error code: 0x8A, 138
Module error code: 0x45, 69
Current command: 0x15 - move cart
Originator of the task: 0x02 - host
From element type: 0x02 - storage
Number: 0x26, 38
To element type: 0x04 - data transfer
Number: 0x01, 1

This message was generated automatically from
HP MSL G3 Series

Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Try the fix mentioned above and manually remove and reinstall the tape in the source slot several times then re-run the initialize.
Todd Bowden
Valued Contributor

Maybe I should just buy non HP tapes, maybe that is the fix, since HP isnt going to fix either the magazine or the tapes.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

HP has made product changes to fix the issue and the problem actually occurs most frequently with non-HP tapes so I wouldn't recommend that to solve your problem.

If loading/unloading the tape a few times doesn't resolve the problem HP can replace your magazine however that is slower and doesn't give you any better of a product in the end.