108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL2024 magazine clear plastic clip

SOLVED
Go to solution
Louann Duchemin
Regular Advisor

MSL2024 magazine clear plastic clip

Can anyone tell me what the purpose of the clear plastic clip is for in the MSL2024 magazine? Each cell has one.
11 REPLIES 11
Wei Jung
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: MSL2024 magazine clear plastic clip

That is the guide used by the robot to calibrate itself in it's Power on test.
Louann Duchemin
Regular Advisor

I take it, with out these the power on self test will fail?
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Without these the power on self test won't necessarily fail because the library does everything it can to keep running so it will mostly work with those missing by calculating where they should be but the accuracy is worse. I wouldn't try running without those but for slots other than the mailslot the calculated position using the prisms on nearby slots is usually adequate. The mailslot has enough mechanical tolerance that the prism is pretty important.
Louann Duchemin
Regular Advisor

Okay, looks like our user is going to be investing in a new magazine. they took out the clips and tossed them out with out checking with us first.

Here is another interesting question. When replacing a magazine back into the slot, it was noticed that the LCD screen display a message that said "recovery". Has this been seen before? I can not find documentation about this at all.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The "recovery" statement on the front panel is probably related to the clips (prisms) being missing. That means that the library encountered a problem during the move and is running a recovery routine. The recovery routines are pretty robust so sometimes it can take a long time so the front panel message is useful to tell what is going on.

Do you have any idea why your customer removed the prisms? They don't look to me like something that should be taken out.
Louann Duchemin
Regular Advisor

The issue with the display of "recovery" is on a seperate tape library. Not the one with the missing prisms.

The reason they removed the prisms was one fell off, so they thought they all had to be removed.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Thanks - I'll report that to manufacturing so we can see if there is a process problem with them not being installed correctly.

The Recovery message on the other library is interesting but doesn't indicate that there is necessarily a problem. Some recoveries are expected but they should be pretty rare.
Louann Duchemin
Regular Advisor

Thank you, Curtis.

I'll have the site keep track of how offten they are seen the "recovery" message.
Louann Duchemin
Regular Advisor

I contacted the site and asked them to keep track how often the MSL2024 library states it is doing "recovery". Here is their response.

"The LCD said scanning, then it said recovery (recovery happens every time we load the magazine). "

Suggestions? This is a brand new unit.