StoreEver Tape Storage
1748185 Members
4580 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL2024 upgrade tape drive with Ultrium 920 ?

Jan Pauler
Advisor

MSL2024 upgrade tape drive with Ultrium 920 ?

Hi,
we have MSL2024 tape library currently equipped with 1 Ultrium 448 tape drive and connected via dedicated SCSI320 controller. There is 1 position left for other Ultrium tape drive.

My question is, can we add, as another drive, also the 920 model, or is there some restriction that it has to be the same tape drive type like another 448? Thank you for help.

Regards,

Jan
5 REPLIES 5
TapeDrive Killer
Trusted Contributor

"Mixed drive capability requires library partitioning (zoning) support by ISV backup application software, confirm if you backup software supports media partitioning"

No Problema ! you can add that ultrium 920 to your library as long as your backup software supports this feature you don't want to have a LTO3 cartridge stuck on the 448 drive. You will also need another U320 card here is where I got the info from (page 3)
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/techdoc/tapestorage/MSL_drivematrix.pdf
One drink away from sleeping on the pavement
Jan Pauler
Advisor

Hi Pablo,

thanks for this answer. We use HP Storage Data Protector 6.0 for backups. I didnt look if this SW supports media partitioning. The tape library is connected directly to U320 SCSI card inserted into 1 of our servers, so this wont be an issue.

Regards,

Jan
Jan Pauler
Advisor

Hi, back to this question. Does anybody know if our backup software - HP Storage Data Protector 6.0 supports partitioning?

I went quickly through the guides we got and found no specification that it supports partitioning with MSL2024.

Thanks for help.
TapeDrive Killer
Trusted Contributor

There is a way to do this by creating media pools that way Tape Drive will only use certain medias.

Pablo Alvarado Siles
One drink away from sleeping on the pavement
Jan Pauler
Advisor

All questions answered. Thanks.