1748283 Members
3850 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL4048 8A error

BobbyCabCom
Occasional Contributor

MSL4048 8A error

Hi, I've got an blade server and a MSL4048 (ethernet + fiber).

On my server, we're running Backup Exec 12 and every time we run a back up job the library throws a 8A error.
09.08.17 15:44:52.15 Library Error - HE: slider blocked
Return status: 0x80 - command failed
Global error code: 0x8A - hardware error, slider blocked
Robotic movement error: 0x00 - no detailed info available
Current command: 0x15 - move cartridge
Task originator: 0x02 - CDB interpreter task
Extender library specifier: 0x00 - master library
Source element type.: 0x02 - storage slot
Element number: 0x28, 40
Destination element type.: 0x04 - tape drive
Element number: 0x01, 1
Component ID type: 0x02 - medium PVT (barcode)
Component ID: VQ6206L3

After rebooting the library, I run a demo and everything seems fine. We've already swapped out the chassis, swapped around tape drives 1 and 2. I can also do an Move Media from/to both drives.

Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Check for tapes that are hard to pull out of a magazine slot or hard to insert into a magazine slot. The "slider" is the push/pull mechanism and a slider block can occur if there is a problem moving the tape in the magazine.

There have been a couple of tapes found (non-HP) that didn't have the right profile on the edges and the magazine clip would catch making it hard to pull the tape from the slot. It is also possible that there could be some issue making it hard to put the tape into the slot. For some reason the error message doesn't record whether this particular error happened pulling a tape out or pushing it in.
BobbyCabCom
Occasional Contributor

Fixed:
The tape library was really new and the magazines needed some breaking in. The tapes were really hard to push out by finger, so I just repeated reinserted tapes into each slot until it was easy to eject.

I'm still not sure why i was able to do a move from the library but not from Back up exec.
kamiltitera
Occasional Contributor

I had to switch the "magazine slider" because someone from my team had put upper slider to bottom position and from bottom to upper.

The hint for me was that left bottom magazine slider has tinny white dot on the corner and front panel has the same white dot on the left bottom corner. After switch sliders I had to reboot device.

Warren_Admin
Respected Contributor

Please do not reply to this message. It is a test.

Thank you

Thanks,
Warren_Admin