5422 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL4048 LTO4: Problems reading LTO2 tape

ThomasO
Frequent Advisor

MSL4048 LTO4: Problems reading LTO2 tape

Hi All

We have a MSL4048 LTO4 library and I have some old tapes I need to be able to get some data off.
From the specifications I understand that LTO4 drives should be able to read LTO2 tapes.
I have two tapes labeled QCG620L2 and CE1580L1. They are both LTO2 tapes, even if one has the "L1" barcode (I guess someone accidentally continued using LTO1 barcodes after moving to LTO2 tapes). I am able to import the "L2" tape, but the "L1" tape fails every time.
In the library web management, if I try to move the "L1" tape to one of my empty drives, I get the following error: "Cartridge is incompatible with Drive".
It appears that the system detects if to be a LTO1 tape, even if it is indeed an LTO2 tape.
Is it possible to override this in any way?

Some help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Thomas
13 REPLIES 13
Aneesh Mohan
Honored Contributor

Hi Thomas,

CE1580L1 is it a cleaning media ?

Aneesh
ThomasO
Frequent Advisor

Hi Aneesh

Thanks for your reply.

No, it is not a cleaning tape nor the barcode label is for a cleaning tape.

To me it appears that the library categorizes all tapes with barcode "L1" as LTO Ultrium 1 tapes; which is not readable in a LTO4 drive, even if the tape is actually LTO2 media.

/Thomas
MJ Simpson
Occasional Contributor

Thomas, can you re-label the tape with a "L2" label and import the tape into DP?
ThomasO
Frequent Advisor

Hi MJ

Thanks for your suggestion.

I contacted HP about this as well, and I just got a reply.

The fact that the library refuse to let me mount this tape in the drive is that the tape is indeed categorized as LTO1 based on the barcode (which is incompatible with LTO4 drives). This is by design and it is not possible to override this in the system.
What HP suggested was to remove the label from the tape and then mount it.
I did that, and I was able to mount it successfully.

The second part of the story is that my backup software (NetBackup 6.5) could not recognize this tapes now. So what I had to do was to manually add this tapes to the Media DB with the same Media ID as the barcode indicated. Only then, I was able to restore the date from the tapes.

So I guess this is case closed.

/Thomas
ThomasO
Frequent Advisor

See above for the solution.
Subhash_5
Frequent Advisor

Hello Thomas
can you please advice me how you added this new barcode media's (OLD Media with L1) in Media DB?
We have same issue & need to restore from old media having barcode ending with L1.
Thanks lots
Subhash
ThomasO
Frequent Advisor

Hi Subhash

The solution is mentioned in my second last posting. Let me know if you need any further clarifications.

/Thomas
Subhash_5
Frequent Advisor

Hello Thomas
Thanks for your reply, we are able to mount the media after removing the labels but netbackup doesnot recognise them,
I saw you post ,it says
"the second part of the story is that my backup software (NetBackup 6.5) could not recognize this tapes now. So what I had to do was to manually add this tapes to the Media DB with the same Media ID as the barcode indicated. Only then, I was able to restore the date from the tapes."

I want to know how you added it to Media DB, you used IMPORT procedure or using commands? if command what commands?? Please HELP with the procedure.

Thanks
Subhash
ThomasO
Frequent Advisor

Hi Subhash

I am not 100% sure how I did this, as it is quite a while ago.

However, I believe I did the following:

1. Insert only one of the tapes without barcode at a time
2. Make note of the slot number you inserted the tape in.
3. In Netbackup Console, rightclick on Media and choose New Volumes
4. Choose Media type and Robot
5. In Media ID, make sure you type the actual ID of this tape
6. In First slot number, select the slot number where the tape is inserted.
7. Select whichever other options needed and click OK

Now, the tape should be recognizable by Netbackup.

Good luck.

/Thomas