Storage Boards Cleanup
To make it easier to find information about HPE Storage products and solutions, we are doing spring cleaning. This includes consolidation of some older boards, and a simpler structure that more accurately reflects how people use HPE Storage.
Tape Libraries and Drives
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSL5000 Drives Go Offline since 5.16

J Bollinger
Occasional Contributor

MSL5000 Drives Go Offline since 5.16

Since I applied firmare 5.16 to our MSL5026SL libraries, drives intermittently go offline with no apparent precursor. We run Symantec Backup Exec v10d build 5269 service pack 1. The system event log first says "The driver detected a controller error" and lists the Adaptec 39160 channel in question (error 11) and then multiple "the device is not ready for access yet" errors over the next 10-12 seconds. Backup Exec first reports ERROR_IO_DEVICE and then ERROR_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED (and the drive is reported offline). It never goes offline to the OS, however. Recycling Backup Exec will fix the problem as long as I do not attempt to use the tape which was in the drive at the time this occurred. I would suspect the SCSI bus if it hadn't started happening on two different libraries on two different servers after my upgrade to 5.16 firmware approximately one month ago.