6363 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL5000 Series Tape Library SCSI Configuration

Anthony Mather
Occasional Advisor

MSL5000 Series Tape Library SCSI Configuration

Hi Everyone,

looking for some help with a MSL5000 Series Tape Library with HP Dataprotector 5.5.

It is using a single host system but I can only get HP Data protector to use the second drive and not the first one. Each drive is set with a different SCSI ID.

I have tried various SCSI configurations but am currently using default configuration with both drives daisy chained together.

Host --> Drive 1 ---> Drive 0 ---> Library

The library and both drives are successfully detected in the OS and also in dataprotector however when I attempt to use drive 0 it gives the error "drive in use" even after various restarts and ensuring there was no other tape/service using the drive.

Please help.

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

Anthony,

First things on the checklist:

-is the Removable Storage Medium Service disabled?
-are the tape drives and medium changer disabled in the Windows device manager?

Your SCSI cabling is OK. As DP detects the robot arm, the SCSI connections must be alright as well.

Is there a session running under the monitor tab?

What is the output of 'omnidbutil -show_locked_devs'? If a drive is reported as locked, free it with the command 'omnidbutil -free_locked_devs'.

best regards,
Kurt
Anthony Mather
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Kurt,

I just tried the locked devices command and it also came up with no devices locked. Removable storage is disabled and all the devices in device manager are detected and available with correct drivers.

What is strange is that fact that the entire library is operational except for that tape drive.

The SCSI cabling seems fine aswell as it would not be able to perform a backup if the cabling was the issue.

I have tried various cabling configs aswell but it has not solved the problem.

I am starting to think it may be a faulty drive in the unit that is causing the issue.

As i can run successful backups now specifing to use the working drive.

if anyone else has any other ideas let me know.

thanks for your help guys
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Try to disable the tapes devices in Device Manager, (propreties, then disable, or do not use this device)
they should appear with a red cross on it, so you are sure the system or other previous installed backup components or schedulers are not using it.
then eventualy reload the DP drivers

marino
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

simply swap both tapedrives and see what it does to your problem. If it moves to drive 1 then the tapedrive is defective..

Leon
Anthony Mather
Occasional Advisor

thanks guys,

I actually removed data protector and installed it exactly the same way and it fixed the problem, go figure that one :/

thanks for your time and help guys.

Cheers

anthony