1752374 Members
6331 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL5000

eric reid_1
Occasional Contributor

MSL5000

Tapes not ejecting from the drives when job completes.......

We are currently running Veritas 8.6 Network Storage Executive (NSE). Periodically we are experiencing that the tapes in the drives are not ejecting when the job completes, when this happens the library needs to be rebooted and the drives moved from tape to slot using the web-base utility from the tape library.

Any help appreciated...
5 REPLIES 5
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL5000

Make sure you are using bios version 0421, I saw a fix in there about eject problems.
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Are these SDLT or LTO drives?

If it is Ultrium 1, then update the drive firmware to E38W.

Is it in a SAN? If so, make sure the fibre agents are disabled if you are running Compaq Insight Manager 6.40 (or 6.20/6.30 with patches).
The journey IS the reward.
eric reid_1
Occasional Contributor

Truly appreciate your reply├в ┬ж├в ┬ж We have (2) MSL5000 SDLT 110/220 Tape Library systems, each library has (4) drives and are connected independently to an NS1200. Originally both libraries where at 0408 but we decided to upgrade one to 0421 but continued to have ejection problems periodically. I just upgraded the other library to 0421 and all drives to V075 just to get them at the current level. I have not upgraded the firmware on the NS1200 yet but I├в m contemplating it. Each Media Server hosting the backup are running 6.4 Agents and Veritas 8.6 with the latest build.

Please help.... we are in d
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

>Each Media Server hosting the backup are running 6.4 Agents and ...

OK, here's the problem.

Insight Manager Agents for WIndows version 6.40 (and 6.20/6.30 with the Fibre Channel Information Agent SoftPaq) may cause problems with tape library and autoloader robotics (may generate ABTSs).

The problem will be fixed in CIM 7.0.

The short term workaround is to disable the fibre channel agents. From the Control Panel, select HP Management Agents. On the Services tab, click on "Fibre Channel Information" under the Active Agents list, and click on Remove. Then click OK to restart the agents.
The journey IS the reward.
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

I'm having a horrible time with my MSL5030 w/ fiber channel, Windows Server 2003, and Galaxy 4.2 SP3. Tapes have consistent dismount problems. This is using agents 6.40 and firmware 0421 and the x38x LTO firmware.

I will upgrade to 7.00 agents and see what happens.