StoreEver Tape Storage
1748211 Members
4531 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL5026 SDLT library not performing inventory on left magazine

Mark Geiger_1

MSL5026 SDLT library not performing inventory on left magazine

After having service done on the tape transport of our MSL5026 library, the automatic inventory doesn't get performed on the left magazine when the magazine is removed and reinserted. It works fine on the magaine from the right side. We remove the magazine and reinsert it and the inventory/bar code scan gets performed. It also works on the right side when both magazines are removed and reinserted, but it then stops and won't scan the left side. Manually running the inventory from the diagnostics menu works fine.

I'm wondering if semething is unplugged since the tech had to access the left side of the unit to remove all the connections for the tape transport? This library has two SDLT drives in it.
8 REPLIES 8
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

There are two sensors - one for each magazine the tell when the magazine is inserted, and also the magazine type (DLT or LTO). They are optical sensors attached to a cable harness (one on each side). You might want to check to see if the sensor was dislodged on the left magazine.
The journey IS the reward.
Mark Geiger_1

We'll check the optical sensors on it. I know the wiring harness was removed to effect the repairs on he tape transport.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

The optical sensor is located in the center of the back track. If the library supports both DLT and LTO magazines, there will be a pair of sensors.

On the left side, the two sensor wire harnesses should connect to J10 (DLT sensor) and J8 (LTO sensor). On mine, the DLT sensor cable wrap is black, and the LTO cable wrap is white (not sure if that is true for all).

On the rail, the DLT sensor is towards the front of the unit.

It may be that one of the cables is disconnected, or perhaps the two are swapped (the connectors are the same).
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

One other thing to check - from the front panel, hit "status", and see if it says "magazine removed" even if the magazine is present.
Mark Geiger_1

When I check "status" it shows both magazines OK. I've never seen "magazine removed" come up when the magazine is mounted. It will also show the correct tapes in the left magazine after I do a manual inventory from the diagnostics menu.

Since we have non-standard racks, I'll have to wait a while before I pull the unit to check on the wiring. Some heavy lifting involved!

We only have the DLT magazines. I don't see a sensor toward the front, but there definitely is one toward the back next to the bottom rail.

Thanks for your help! This isn't a show-stopper, but it is an annoyance! At least I have a couple of things to check on now. I also have to update the LTT. I updated the firmware on everything about 10 months ago. LTT is pretty touchy about recognizing the library after you reboot it. I have to got through the whole cascading shutdown process from the server, through the mdr, to the library to get control again.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> When I check "status" it shows both magazines OK. I've never seen "magazine removed" come up when the magazine is mounted.

If you remove the magazine (and close the door), does it say "magazine removed" for status?

> It will also show the correct tapes in the left magazine after I do a manual inventory from the diagnostics menu.

OK, that would suggest that it knows the magazine is present. There may be a problem where it is not detecting that the magazine is removed.

> We only have the DLT magazines. I don't see a sensor toward the front, but there definitely is one toward the back next to the bottom rail.

I probably should have been a bit clearer. The two sensors are both at the rear of the magazine tray, and are mounted together. The one closer to the front is the DLT sensor, the second sensor, closer to the rear, is the LTO sensor.

Mark Geiger_1

Interesting. I remove the magazine and close the door and there is no indication the that magazine has been removed as "status" still shows the image for both magazines.

There is only one sensor near the rail on our unit.

From what you told me I would suspect that the harness isn't connected to J10. I'll check that at the first opportunity. It probably won't be until a weekend maintenance though.

Thanks for your help!
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> Interesting. I remove the magazine and close the door and there is no indication the that magazine has been removed as "status" still shows the image for both magazines.

That would indicate the sensor is not detecting when the magazine is removed. You might want to check to see if the optical sensor is blocked by some dust.

> There is only one sensor near the rail on our unit.

OK, then the unit you have is "pre-Ultrium". The control panel board has the same connectors - J10 for the lef DLT magazine sensor(j8 may not be loaded). FYI, the right side sensor plugs into J9.

> From what you told me I would suspect that the harness isn't connected to J10. I'll check that at the first opportunity.

If I disconnect the cable on mine, it goes to the "magazine removed" state, but perhaps the older (DLT only) control panel boards behaved differently.