StoreEver Tape Storage
1752590 Members
2996 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL5026DLX on W2K server. Tape unit recognized, medium changer not

Hank_9

MSL5026DLX on W2K server. Tape unit recognized, medium changer not

I have installed a W2K machine and I installed the MSL5026DLX on it.
W2K recognizes the DLT8000 tape unit without any problems, but whatever I try, install or do, W2K doesn't seem to find the mediumchanger. I tried to use other SCSI ID's, no joy. SCSI cabling is correct.

Do you have any suggestions?

regards
Hank
4 REPLIES 4
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL5026DLX on W2K server. Tape unit recognized, medium changer not

Hank,
go to device manager and check if you'll see any question marked devices or unknown medum changer devices.
By itseld Windows 2000 does not support changers, thus you need backup application which supports it and loads its own driver for it. It can be HP Omniback (Data protector), CA ArcServe, BackupExec etc
Eugeny
Hank_9

Thanks for your swift reply. In the device manager there are no question marks nor other undefined hardware.
We use Arcserve, but all arcserve sees is the DLT8000 and not the changer.
We have a simular machine which does work with the same OS, same DLT Lib and same Tape Unit, so I know how it should look.

Any other ideas?

thanks in advance
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Then it's definitely connectivity or library configuration problem. Check if library is wired correctly, and configured properly (with HP LTT http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/index.html or web-interface)
Eugeny

We have had problems With Previous editions of BackupExec (7.0 and autoloader option) not upgrading to 2000. a call to Seagate got us "2000 requires 8.X and a new autoloader option." We were also told the same condition applies to Arcserve with revisions pre-2000. Be sure the editions of the software are the same and one is not old.
Don't fix what ain't broke!