New Discussion юеВ

MSL5026S2, SAN switch & Tru64

SOLVED
Go to solution
Subhash_5
Frequent Advisor

MSL5026S2, SAN switch & Tru64

Hi
we have got MSL5026S2 tape library ( 2 DLT DRIVE) which is having fiber port at the back to conncet it directly to SAN switch,we will be using Data protector 5.x to take the backup on this library , my enviroment is Tru64 server connected to SAN switch & HP EVA Storage, EVA is accesed only by Tru64(5.1B) Unix server & Since cell manager is not supported on tru64 we will be using windows server to install DP cell manager which will be in LAN .will this configuration will work correctly ?
Secondly will tru64 detect tape library without any configuration on library? how many device names it should create?
I am planing to install disk manager & media manager on tru64 5.1B since its supported?
what settings i have to do in cell manager so that i can access this tape library & take backup?
Please excuse me for my english & explainantion.
many thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: MSL5026S2, SAN switch & Tru64

Hi,
today I am just working onto a Data Protector Cell with a Cell Manager Windows 2003 and a media manager onto Tru64 5.1A.
So the answer to your first question is YES. The only trouble I can find is that I'm not sure if Installation Server is supported on Tru64. If I'm right I'm afraid you will have to install Data Protector packages and patches directly on Tru64, unless you have another machine in your cell with HP-UX or Solaris that operates as installation server.
Your second question is about Tru64 deives. With "hwmgr -scan scsi" you'll find four new devices: a changer (mc0), two tapes (tape0 and tape1) and a controller (scpX, where X can be 1 or 2 depending upon how much controller has your EVA).
In DP you have just to import/add the client Tru64 and then configure devices on it. DP 5.1 has a nice tool that autoconfigure devices simply choosing the client where devices are connected to.
Good luck
Claudio
Subhash_5
Frequent Advisor

Hi
Thanks lots for reply
My windows server is not connected to SAN switch will that be any problem?
second to have serverfree backup do we have to do some specific configuration on data protector like Xcopy engine? Please advice how to do this configuration?
Many thanks in advance.
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

There's no problem if your Cell Manager is not connected to the SAN. Your Tru64 machine will be the Media Agent.
Cell manager will be the repository for the DP databases and for scheduling of backup specifications.

Never played with serverless backup, sorry.

Claudio Ruzza
Subhash_5
Frequent Advisor

Hi Ruzza
Thanks for your reply, Serverless backup what i mean is DATA on EVA ,eva is only accessed by Tru64 server so just by doing above configuration i will able to take backup of this data which is accessed by TRu64.
i will be doing this things tommarow if anything is there i will post again here.
many many thanks.
Subhash_5
Frequent Advisor

HI
thanks for your help, i have configured library & DP Cell & i am able to take backup to the library, but i am not sure how to assign library slots in media pool,
I wanted to schedule daily backup on this library ,could you please advice how can I assign certain slots for perticular days.
Many thanks in advacnce
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

Hi,
I'm glad to know that your installation went fine.
Back to your last question, to be precise it belongs to Data protector Forum, but I'll try to give my contribution.
You cannot/don't need to specify any slot for a daily backup. Data Protector allows you to use pools in order to simplify your media management. Once you have defined a pool as a destination for your daily backups, you can let DP to choose the appropriate media for the backup. Doing this allow to optimize the media utilization, because your backup appends to media instead of using a whole media under utilized for a daily backup.
However if you absolutely need to have a single media for a specific day you can consider two ways:
-specify a label of a formatted media in the Preallocation list of your backup device. DP allows you to indicate a single medium or a list of specific media to be used in your backup specification
-create a backup specification and a pool for each week day, and give to the pool one formatted media per day.

Hope is clear
Claudio Ruzza