Storage Boards Cleanup
To make it easier to find information about HPE Storage products and solutions, we are doing spring cleaning. This includes consolidation of some older boards, and a simpler structure that more accurately reflects how people use HPE Storage.
Tape Libraries and Drives
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSL5030L1 Tape Alert [15]

MSL5030L1 Tape Alert [15]

I do NDMP Backups with OmniBack 4.1 on a LTO-1 Drive. Sometimes the message whas in the Session Log:
Tape Alert [15]: The memory in the tape cartridge has failed, which reduces performance. Do not use the cartridge for further backup operations.

I tested the same Tape in the second Drive of the same Library and no Error comes up.

Does anyone have seen this message too ?
4 REPLIES
Rajesh G. Ghone
Regular Advisor

Re: MSL5030L1 Tape Alert [15]

Hi Hp,
No i havent faced this problem but it could be a drive problem also, did you tried cleaning the drive or did you tried using another cartridge??
You can try cleaning the drive & taking the backup on the other cartridge.

Regards,
Rajesh G.
Rajesh Ghone

Hello Rajesh,
I did no cleaning, because this would be another message. I used another cartridge, and it was O.K. But I also used the cartridge which caused the message, and all was O.K. too !!!
Regards H.-P.
Rajesh G. Ghone
Regular Advisor

Thanks for your reply H P.one thing i want to know is that do you preserve your cartridge to some other place & whenever you want to take backup you bring it back to your server room.
Because why i am asking you is sometimes you bring the cartridge from other place to the server room & immediately you put it into the Library that time the cartridge may become poor,you need to maintain temp for the cartridge also,i.e. whenever you bring cartridge from some other place you keep that cartridge into the server room for some time & then insert it into the library.

Regards,
Rajesh G.
Rajesh Ghone

Hello Rajesh,
yes, I preserve the cartdridges at an other place. But if the protection is expired, I put it back to the computer room, and put it into the Library until 17:00 PM. But the backup sessions starts at night 01:00 AM, so there is enough time to get the right temp.
In the meantime I take a look at the drives with HP Library and Tape Tools. The result was, that there where some Media Erros reported. The Drives are reported as O.K. Now I will replace the media. Thanks for your help.
bye