5293 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL6000 - Drive issues

Colin Mackay
Frequent Advisor

MSL6000 - Drive issues

Greetings,

I have been put in charge of our backups and have recently added two Ultrium tape drives to our MSL6000, for a total of four.

The issue I am having is when I load HP L&TT and view the devices. It lists three drives under the MSL6000 and the third is listed under Drives.

Now, it seems to work (when I can get DP 5.5 to behave)... Is there any idea's out there as to why?

The SCSI connections are according to page 170 from this document:

http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00296712/c00296712.pdf

Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL6000 - Drive issues

be sure to use last LTT version,

try to disable and enable the drives form the Operator Control panel in the library

marino
Colin Mackay
Frequent Advisor

The drives work, and yes I can enable and disable them from the front panel.

I raelly don't know if this problem is actually causing any real issues... But shouldn't the tape show up under the Library?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Yes it should,
I had myself this problem after changing the library configuration, I perfomed several actions, but not sure which has fixed.
I upgraded LTT, I played a bit in the OCP, and resetted some parameter from the web interface of the library, and then sudenly after a reboot the drives where all under the robotic controller in LTT.
Anyway there where no problems with my backup software.

marino
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> The issue I am having is when I load HP L&TT and view the devices. It lists three drives under the MSL6000 and the third is listed under Drives.

I think you meant to say the 4th is listed under drives.

LTT attempts to find all the drives reported by the library (via read element status) and associate them to the library (listed indented under the library in the "by product" tab).

It typically finds the drives by looking for them on the system by serial number.

If the library reported 4 drives, but LTT could only match 3 of them, it will give a warning that it was unable to find all the drives. If the library only reported 3 drives (and it found 3), then LTT will not complain at all.

Can you clarify if LTT thinks the library was looking for 3 or 4 drives? You may have to look at "details" under the scan tab.
The journey IS the reward.
Colin Mackay
Frequent Advisor

We have 4 drives...

Sorry, it's seeing drive 1, 2 and 4 but drive 3 is sitting outside the tape library according to L&TT.

I have downloaded a new version of L&TT and placed the MSL and the Cell manager onto their own Zone on the SAN. Still no change.
Scott McIntosh_2
Honored Contributor

If Data Protector is your backup product, then let's see what devbra -dev reports. It'll list the serial numbers the library reports as well as the serial numbers of the drives, so maybe that'll give a view of something being off.

devbra -dev

either in /opt/omni/lbin or OmniBack\bin, depending on the OS of the system which can see the robotics and all drives.

Thanks,
Scott
HP Support
Colin Mackay
Frequent Advisor

The output was:

Tape HP:Ultrium 2-SCSI Path: "Tape3:1:1:1C" SN: "HUL5D10742"
Description: CLAIMED:HP LTO drive
Revision: F59W Device type: lto [13] Flags: 0x0011

Tape HP:Ultrium 2-SCSI Path: "Tape2:1:1:0" SN: "N/A"

Tape HP:Ultrium 2-SCSI Path: "Tape1:1:0:2C" SN: "HUL4E06624"

Tape HP:Ultrium 2-SCSI Path: "Tape0:1:0:1C" SN: "HUL4A01647"

Exch HP:MSL6000 Series Path: "Changer0:1:0:0" SN: "3G41LRT5TDAX"
Description: CLAIMED:HP StorageWorks MSL 6000 Series
Revision: 0507 Flags: 0x0016 Slots: 58 Drives: 4
Drive(s) SN:
"HUL4A01647"
"HUL4E06624"
"HUL5E01877"
"HUL5D10742"

So as you can see, the second tape drive in this list has no S/N, yet there is a serial number listed under the Changer...

I also noticed that the Reload button in DP for the Tape Drive serial number is greyed out.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

If the serial number is not being reported back, that explains why LTT would not associate it with the library.

The serial numbers reported by the library are obtained from the drive by a separate (serial) interface port.

In LTT, can you pull a support ticket for the drive? It should contain the SN the drive is reporting across SCSI.

I wonder if you have an intermittent SCSI connection to that drive.
The journey IS the reward.
Colin Mackay
Frequent Advisor

I don't think so, while we've had some issues with backups, they've been mostly attributed to our SAN switch. We had no zones configured and other devices were sending SCSI reset commands during restores and backups...

I just went over all the connections, but I've tried doing some backups on these drives and they all succeeded.