New Discussion юеВ

MSL6000 discovery problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
amer_3
Advisor

MSL6000 discovery problem

hi
i have new MSL6000 installed and it will be connected to two HP unix servers for backup, the MSL is connected through SAN.
i have configured the zone in the SAN switch, but the MSL router did not discover my servers, the HPA's on the servers are configured and i can connect to the EVA, also if i added the EVA controles to the zone the router discover them.
can anyone help me configuraning the MSL router and what is wrrong.
22 REPLIES 22
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL6000 discovery problem

The HP-UX hosts will not show up on the NSR's host list until the HBAs log in. On a Windows hosts, plug 'n play will make them appear automatically, but on HP-UX you will need to do an IOscan or reboot.

Once the HBA's have logged in, then you should see them in the host list, and be able to assign them to a map (or maps, if you want different presentations to different hosts).
The journey IS the reward.
amer_3
Advisor

hi
i have done a reboot for the MSL and the MSL router but the same, i have also done arboot for the servers but also the same.

do u think i should reset the router configuration and start again.

thanks
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Amer,

If I understand your query properly then you are unable to view the list of HP-UX hosts on the NSR. You are viewing this information from NSR serial or HTML access.

But as per your own statement, if you include the EVA zone you are able to discover EVA.

If this is what is your scenario then
1) verify and post the zoning information.
2) If you have a mix of Windows and HP-UX servers, then the HP-UX servers have to be in a seperate zone.
3) The device maps have to be created from the NSR interface and assigned to the servers
wwn
4) Make the port speed of the NSR to 2G fixed on the switch side.

With regards,
Mohan.
Attitude, Not aptitude, determines your altitude
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

First log on the switch and check if the router and the servers are logged on the Fabric
then be sure that the zone you just created is added to the active config, and that you saved the config, this is something that some time is forgoten.
amer_3
Advisor

hi

im using the html to configure the router.
1- my zones only have HP ux servers and the MSL
2- i have tryed to do the device maps from the NSR interface but i dont see any of my servers can u help me in configuration from the NSR interface
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Sure,
can you click on report, and save the report as a html archive (*.mth) so I can see the situation

marino
amer_3
Advisor

hi
this is the report
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Amer,

The Mapping has a small hiccup. for HP-UX systems the map should not contain the NSR. Please delete the entry for the NSR in that map and then you should be ok.

It is recommended that you create a seperate map for the HP-UX systems. I see that you are using the default map only.

We are still not sure how your zone is configured If you can get the outputs from your switches it can help
a) cfgshow
b) zoneshow

with regards,
Mohan.
Attitude, Not aptitude, determines your altitude
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

it appear that you have a host with alias hpux1 having the active map (called port 0 Device Map FC Port 0 Map ) assigned.
( did you saw in the past the server WWN and you added an alias, or did you insert by hand the server WWN? )

another initiator identify with 375DCC (this may be the switch as well) have got the defaul indexed map.

but I do not see any "ACTIVE INITIATOR"
this may indicate that the NSR cannot see the servers.

Also the Firmware of library and NSR are quite old, and should be updated

The procedure to configure the NSR is the following:

issue a FC discovery, servers should populate the NSR list of "Actice Initiators

then go in mappin, insert account and password
you can use the map name you created (port 0 Device Map FC Port 0 Map) or you can create a new name
then after selecting the map name, go in edit/view
select clear map
the select the priority as Target/bus
Then click fill map
you will see the map filling in, then you can close the window
Now you are back in previous window were you should see a list of Host that have logged in the NSR
select one and click Edit/view
in this windows, you can select the Map Name that you want to associate to this server, then click Modify
and close the windows.
Now back again in previous page, you should click on "Acticate Mapping and Save"
then reboot the NSR from teh left hand menu

that should be all you need

Marino