1752764 Members
4941 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL6030 & Ultrium 960 swap

staudk27
Advisor

MSL6030 & Ultrium 960 swap

We have something wrong with the current Ultrium 3 drive in our tape library and also have a Standalone 960 U3. Since we are looking for a temporary solution / save money, we swapped the drive from the SA drive into the library. Once started back up, the drive showed fine in the library but noticed that warnings showed that it would only do 160 mb/s and not the previous recommened 320.

Also, the drive wouldn't let us force the 54w firmware over the 54d standalone firmware. Does anyone know the physical/electrical differences between the two and why this wswap wouldn't work?

2nd: The previous error on the drive was a 'Media Error' shown on the library, which no documentation talks about, and HP support doesn't know what it means either.

T.I.A
3 REPLIES 3
staudk27
Advisor

Re: MSL6030 & Ultrium 960 swap

*Reading other posts, the standalone & robotic versions are different in someway and not possible to use one in the library (although it worked 'okay' to the extent that I could get the tape in/out w/ the picker. But thinking about just looking for repair/replacement costs.

Still looking for an answer on the 2nd question.
staudk27
Advisor

* There is a blinking LED on the 3rd or 'Tape Error' but I've tried at least 10 different tapes, and tested in standalone w/o any problems with the tapes ...
staudk27
Advisor

-Changing topics-