New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL6030 and older MDR

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sean OB_1
Honored Contributor

MSL6030 and older MDR

Hello,

I have an existing set of TL891 tape libraries connected to two Compaq Modular Data Routers. The routers are fiber attached to a backup SAN.

I want to replace the TL891's with MSL6030's and need to know if I can connect them to the MDR's or if I need to attach them to the san via another method.

TIA and points for all responses.

Sean
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Sean,
last time I checked, the Ultrium tape drives did not work on the MDR. The MSL6030s can be equiped with an embedded FC/SCSI bridge (the E1200-160).
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Sean,

I had to find out a few days ago if older fibre/SCSI switches could be used with a MSL6030 libray and the result was that only the latest fibre channel interface card e1200-600 can be used with it.

So no recycling is possible.

best regards,

Kurt
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Not supported
This is due to the scsi3 command set used by LTO and the hight bandwith used by these drivers, the MDR will have some problem in manage them
Sean OB_1
Honored Contributor

Ok, so can I buy the model with the embedded fibre/scsi bridge just plug it into my existing fibre switches?

Where do you guys find this information from HP? Their technical presales team has been less than helpful in the past, so I'm not sure where I should be going to get this info.

TIA.

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Well, part of this is experience from our own work or our customers (experience beats ANYTHING else!)...

Then reading docs and working with this stuff all day.

And the presales support in EMEA has very much improved over the last month. I have been a long-time critic, but currently I am _very_ satisfied.