1751804 Members
5020 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL6030 drives keep disappearing.

Chris Watson
Super Advisor

MSL6030 drives keep disappearing.

I am talking to a MSL6030 via a switch. If I reboot the library, either one or both of the drives disappear.

# insf -eCtape insf: Installing special files or stape instance 0 address 0/4/0/0.1.5.255.0.0.1
insf: Installing special files for stape instance 1 address 0/4/0/0.1.5.255.0.0.3
# ioscan -fnCtape
Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description
======================================================================
tape 0 0/4/0/0.1.5.255.0.0.1 stape CLAIMED DEVICE HP Ultrium 2-SCSI
/dev/rmt/0m /dev/rmt/c8t0d1BEST
/dev/rmt/0mb /dev/rmt/c8t0d1BESTb
/dev/rmt/0mn /dev/rmt/c8t0d1BESTn
/dev/rmt/0mnb /dev/rmt/c8t0d1BESTnb
tape 1 0/4/0/0.1.5.255.0.0.3 stape NO_HW DEVICE HP Ultrium 2-SCSI
/dev/rmt/1m /dev/rmt/c8t0d3BEST
/dev/rmt/1mb /dev/rmt/c8t0d3BESTb
/dev/rmt/1mn /dev/rmt/c8t0d3BESTn
/dev/rmt/1mnb /dev/rmt/c8t0d3BESTnb

As you can see, it says NOHW. I have tried more reboots on the library. The light on the drives is lit steadily.

Help please!

(I am a novice at FC)
Moving along nicely
5 REPLIES 5
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

Open a hardware call at HP. If you get a NO_HW in an ioscan, there is a hardware problem.

Kurt
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

Looks like you need to set persistent bindings. Sadly, I can't remember how to do this on HP offhand (but a quick search on google gives me: http://www.emulex.com/ts/fc/docs/hpux/41001/adapCfg.htm). In this case, a reboot of the jukebox results in the HP losing track of the drives, probably spotting them again when they come back up, and assigning new device names to them. As such, your old addresses show no hardware.

HTH,

Stuart.
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.
Chris Watson
Super Advisor

A partial resolution has come about by logging into the ethernet port next to the fibre port, and rebooting the nsr.

Thanks

Chris
Moving along nicely
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

The NO_HW could be caused either by shifting of the LUNs or by the specific drive becoming unresponsive (or a combination of these).

If you are using the "auto assigned" pre-defined map, you might want to change it. You can go into the NSR web interface (mapping) and create a custom map, and then assign it to each of your hosts. Under Active Fabric, you can also delete the AF (controller) LUN assuming you are not using XCOPY.

The custom map will lock the fibre LUNs to specific devices, and prevent them from shifting whenever the router does discovery.

I assume your MSL6030 is using LTO2 drives. Which firmware are you on? The latest is F43W which fixes a few hang conditions.

Which NSR are you using? The e1200-160 and N1200 are on firmware 5.01.04.

The journey IS the reward.
Chris Watson
Super Advisor

I am on 5.01.04 on the nst and F38W on the drives. I will go and have a look for the firmware.....

Thanks.

PS I didn't know that the nsr had a web interface!
Moving along nicely