1751940 Members
4816 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL6030 halfinchVRTS Error / Veritas

Astro2
Frequent Advisor

Another information: before the BE jobs I stopped the HP Agents Storage and Foundation (and than I started at the end).

Armando
Bostjan Kosi
Trusted Contributor

You connect to the NSR web page and log in...Leawe new FW file somewhare on your desktop.
Under utilities on the left side you'll see FTP..type in the username (root or admin) and password (password - default), NSR's ip address, click connect, browse to the file and select put...Than wait for a minute or two...

Check for reset tprlo parameter on emulex cards, and set it to 2 )using emulex util...

BR
B.
Nothing is impossible for those that don't have to do it themselves!
Astro2
Frequent Advisor

Hi
NSR update: months ago updated using ftp, but the firmware file was in a differnet format (file 5.3.0b_fw_winston_x.dlx) that this new (file LTT_HP_E1200-160_5606.frm - LTT "format" ?).
This is not a problem ?

Many thanks
Armando
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

Armando,
.frm is a firmware format suitable for LTT
.dlx is a firmware format suitable for FTP or serial connection to the nsr.
Do not use inappropriate version!
Claudio
Astro2
Frequent Advisor

Hi

There's a version .DLX for the firmware of NSR 1200-160 ? Where can I download it ?

Many thanks
Armando
Bostjan Kosi
Trusted Contributor

Hi

You can dl from HP site...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?locale=en_US&pnameOID=315730&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=315728тМй=en&cc=us&swEnvOID=54

Astro2
Frequent Advisor

Hi
Many thanks

On 15 feb I changed the tape0 of the library.

The jobs on that tape (tape0) are now all OK (5 days) and the Hard Read Errors and Write Read Errors in the driver statistics (in Veritas BE) still remains 0.

On the other tape (tape1), there was an error on 16 feb (and a BE job failed with CRC error as usual), but the error was
"timeout \Device\Scsi\lpxnds2". I think that the error is changed due the driver / firmware upgrade.
I tried to clean the tape1 (even there was no message that the tape need cleaning).
Now the jobs on that tape are OK (4 days)...

Only a cleaning problem ? But I cleaned both the tape twice although the documentation states to avoid excessive cleaning.
See also my old thread
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=708437

Thanks a lot !
Armando
Astro2
Frequent Advisor

Hi

All is working fine.

Cleaning. From another thread (http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=708437):
"If the autoclean is enabled in Veritas, it will load the cleaning tape whenever an LTO drive is dirty."
But the BE software don't clean the drive when needed...

So I scheduled a cleaning job on both drive on first day of each month.

Any other suggestion ?

Many thanks
Armando
Bostjan Kosi
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

I think once per month is much too much. Try other approach. Configure Library (use display) to assign a cleaning slot. LTO drives have their own internal cleaning mechanism and use external cleaning tape only when the drive finds out it can not clean itself automaticaly. In this case library will load cleaning tape into the drive by it self and clean it. Also do not to forget to correctly mark cleanin tapes with CLN barcone. If you clean drives so often, you'll destroy the drives + you will use your cleaning tapes to quickly.

BR
B.
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

I agree: do not over-clean your drives, unless you like to make HP service engineers to swap it very often!
If you decide to use MSL internal cleaning capability, make sure to disable the BE cleaning feature, and vice versa.

HTH
Claudio