1752805 Members
5708 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL6030 with redundanr NSR routers

otukile
Frequent Advisor

MSL6030 with redundanr NSR routers

Is it possible to have an MSL6030 with 2 routers for redundancy? In case on card dies. There is a free slot next to the existing routers that I believe is for that purpose. Any comments would be appreciated
Don't panic
5 REPLIES 5
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL6030 with redundanr NSR routers

Hi,

You can only install one NSR in a MSL6030.
I propose you take a good support contract at HP, in case of failure it can be replaced within 4 hours

See also

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/msl6000/index.html
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

If you can afford the expense of a second NSR, you can keep in a safe place the spare NSR and save the configuration of the "living" one in a file. In case of need, you can replace it by yourself and upload the config file. If you remeber everything you need to complete this task (remove the defective NSR, replace with the new one, check firmware, connect SCSI/Fibre cables, find the NSR serial cable, set up IP address, connect with laptop, find the config file, upload it...)
However I would not recommend this. I agree with Luk, a good support contract will be simpler.

Claudio
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

TO add to all this... I believe there is still no way to configure "redundancy" with these libraries. (In the sense of Multiple Paths to your Tape Storage). It's just not supported, or at least wasn't.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Scott McIntosh_2
Honored Contributor

Simply not much point in a second NSR for availability concerns. Each device is only SCSI cabled to one NSR, so having a second doesn't mean anything useful if the first fails.

But yes, you could install a second NSR if for example you had Ultrium960 drives in it. Then you'd have to have two NSRs if you had two of those drives, but it still would provide zero resiliency should one of the two failed.
Balakrishna Kotian
Frequent Advisor

Hi Scott,

I would like to know if I have MSL6060 with 4 960 drives then how many NSL I can have. So that I can use it as redundancy if any one path fails.

Bala