Did you mean: 

MSL6060 Drive fetch failure

SOLVED
Go to solution
gfh_1
Advisor

MSL6060 Drive fetch failure

Hello

I have MSL6060 library with 2 drive LTO2. and san card.

I have this error

Fault code : 3013 (soft)

Drive fetch failure

and also this

Fault code : 3015 (soft)

Drive timeout failure.

and the DP5.5 give this

Normal] From: BMA@"HP:Ultrium 2-SCSI_1_" Time: 3.12.2005 07:56:36

By: UMA@@Changer0:0:0:0

Unloading medium to slot 5 from device scsi3:0:0:1C

[Major] From: BMA@"HP:Ultrium 2-SCSI_1_" Time: 3.12.2005 09:27:34

[90:64] By: UMA@@Changer0:0:0:0

Cannot unload exchanger medium ([55] The specified network resource or device is no longer available. )

and after that I need to reboot the library and manually unload the tape. I only see this error with drive 1. I replace drive 1 but with no luck, same error.

any input

regards
GFH
45 REPLIES
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL6060 Drive fetch failure

be sure to run the calibration test from the front panel first.
secondly if you are running a SAN environment, check for reservation conflic, some server in the SAN may poll or disrupt backup, then the tape may stay in a reserved mode, and the backup sw cannot eject the tape anymore until the reservation is cleared via a reboot of the library.
Windows servers with RSM active, or old insight agents may cause this behavior, OVSAM in Unix as well.
Other polling or supervisor software can cause this also.
You can use also Zoning to select only the needed host to access the library

marino
Phil_124
Occasional Visitor

I "had" this in a Slave 6060, I use Networker and multiple modules - also got "picker retries exceeded 3" in a delayed message on my Master - anyhow this will apply to your situation...
I replaced tape device but still errored as above within 5 x tape label operations. Replaced picker but again still errored the same..? Ran calibration after, then ran mass label job to the device and it hasn't failed yet - so do the calibration 1st maybe it aint a faulty part! (ps: recently updated F/W, 460 tape device to F59W & all Libraries to v5.13 & NSR's to v5.6.78 and everything is very stable)
gfh_1
Advisor

HI Guys
I have check removeble storage and it is disable on all servers. I run vertical calibration and after that I have no problem with drive 1 but I have see this fetch error on drive 2 and also now I have Fault Symptom Codes (FSCs)

Shuttle Jammed

and also

Rotary Jammed

should I replace the robotic or run calibration again.

Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

I would say: run the calibration first, it is easy and quicker, then you can run some specific test in order to understand what could cause the problem
Sยภเl Kย๓คг
Respected Contributor

Post O/p of

#ioscan -fnC tape
#ioscan -fnC autoch

Regards,
Sunil
Your imagination is the preview of your life's coming attractions
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

GFH,

Exam the library physically too. Take a magazine and see that you can exit all of the tapes without too much hassle.

If it is difficult in certain slots, remove and enter the tape a number of times manually.

With this procedure, I already solved the issues you are dealing with. Got to admit that I first search the books too instead of simply looking if there wasn't a physical problem.

best regards,
Kurt
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

gfh,

I can ask engineering for their thoughts on this. They would want to know:

1. What specific MSL model and drive type.
(From above: MSL6060 w/LTO2)
2. Library/Drive(/router) firmware revisions.
3. Backup Application used.
(From above: DP 5.5)
4. Direct attach or San Attached.
5. If San, what OSes can see the library and/or drives.

What would be most useful would be a Library & Tape Tools support ticket, which would provide #1 and #2 above. I could give you an email address to mail it (it would be too big to post here).

- dave
HP engineering
The journey IS the reward.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor
Solution

gfh,

I noticed another forum posting for a pontentially similar problem:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=978224

If you are on version 5.13 firmware, it may be worthwhile to downrev back to 5.07 (or 4.30) and see if the issue goes away.
gfh_1
Advisor

Hi David

I will downgrade library later to day to 5.07 or 4.30.

1. Msl 6060 with 2 LTO2 drives
2. MSL firmware 5.13
3. San router firmware 5.6.78
4. San attached
5. Only windows server 2003

I can sent you support ticket later to day

regards
GFH
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

gfh,

Thanks for the additional info.

You can mail the support ticket to ltt_team@hp.com, with my name in the subject line.

Your configuration does not sound complex as at all (which is good). There are few things we can check on the 2003 server if the problem is happening on older firmware as well.

If you use LTT to update firmware, you will need a password (I can send you that form the ltt_team mailbox). However, if you use the web interface, you will not need a password to downgrade.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

gfh,

I have your support ticket from the LTT team mailbox, and will have engineering team look at it.

Please let us know if the problem stops happening now that you are back on 4.30 firmware.
gfh_1
Advisor

Hi

After downgrade to 4.30 we have run backup now for 20 hours without errors, I will give better information on monday morning.

GFH
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

gfh,

OK, I have my fingers crossed.

What was the failure frequency with 5.13 firmware?

The product engineering team is looking at the logs to see if they provide any clues.

- dave
HP Engineering
Vallo Kallaste
Occasional Advisor

Sorry for intercepting the thread, but we have exactly same case. MSL6060 with two Ultrium 460 LTO2 drives and NSR 1200-160 FC-SCSI bridge. After upgrade to 5.13 (the drives and NSR got updates, too) using LTT 3.5 SR4a, we have had two "Shuttle jammed" hard errors within 24 hours. I've opened case in ITRC and also sent the ticket file generated by LTT.

--
Vallo
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Vallo,

No problem jumping in - glad you did. We'll look these cases in parallel which may help us understand the root cause quicker.

What version of firmware were you on previously?

If you need an LTT password to downgrade the robotics back (everything else can stay at the current revision), let me know. Note: you can downgrade library code without a password using the remote management interface.

Also, if you have a case number I can look for the support ticket. I would recommend you ask your support contact to elevate the issue to tier 3 engineering (swapping hardware likely will not resolve it).
gfh_1
Advisor

Hi David

Good news, We have now run backup for 4 days without errors after firmware downgrade to 4.30. So it seems to be somthing wrong with firmware 5.13.

Failure frequency with 5.13 firmware was every 4 - 6 tape unload failed with fsc code 3011

regards
GFH
Vallo Kallaste
Occasional Advisor

David,

previous firmware was 5.07. We already downgraded to 4.30 using web interface. Case number is 1209761193, but as I see somebody has already erroneously closed it. Grrr...
The case has also comment that the e-mail, which I sent to address indicated while submitting the case, had 0 attachments. This is plain wrong, as I have the message I sent in front of me. It had gzipped file attached as base64 encoded, message type was standard multipart/mixed. Something's wrong with the receiving end I guess. Anyway, please contact me vallo at estcard.ee if needed.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> previous firmware was 5.07. We already downgraded to 4.30 using web interface. Case number is 1209761193, but as I see somebody has already erroneously closed it.

> ... Anyway, please contact me vallo at estcard.ee if needed.

OK, I will contact you via email. The engineering team said the "shuttle jam" error is likely different than the fetch errors a few others have seen with the 5.13 firmware. They would like to see the support ticket from LTT for your library.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

GFH,

Thank you for your updates on testing with 4.30, and the frequency of failure before downgrading. I've passed that onto the engineering team, to help with their analysis.
Ilya P
Occasional Advisor

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Got the same problem with MSL6060 after upgrading to FW 5.13 from 5.07

See thread: http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=978224

HP Engineer replaced drive 0 - not a solution though. Got the same message after 3 backup cycles.
Library with 2 LTO2 SCSI tapes - direct attach.

As ever,
Ilya

Vallo Kallaste
Occasional Advisor

David, Ilya

It's been 7 peaceful days with firmware 4.30 since downgrade. It's not proof, of course, but something to consider by the engineering people. As I gather from the scattered posts the problem seems always to be with drive 0, as it was in our case, too.
--
Vallo
Ilya P
Occasional Advisor

Dear Vallo,

it looks like downgrade to 5.07 in my case solved the problem. It's more likely to be a firmware issue. HP Russia changed drive 0 in my MSL6060 and it has been proven not to be a solution. Drive 0 was still timing out causing all sorts of problems for my backup software.

Merry X-Mas,
Ilya
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

GFH/Vallo/Ilya,

I wanted to give you all an engineering update. We did extensive testing on all our 10U (60 slot) units in our lab and could not duplicate this problem. However we now have a returned customer unit that fails fairly regularly when unloading tapes from drive 0. It looks like the picker is too high when the tape ejects and does not consistently engage the griper arm in the notch on the lower left side of the tape, which then causes the fetch to fail. This unit failed with 5.13 firmware, and also fail similarly with 4.30. This unit was returned to us for a different problem, so we are not 100% sure if it matches exactly the 3 units having problems on the forums.

However we have one more unit in the states with the 3013 issue identified that is being returned to the division for analysis. We hope from that unit, videos from the current unit, and the support ticket logs from the units on the forums, that the firmware engineers will be able to identify the root cause(s) and provide firmware that will properly address it. We suspect that there may be some mechanical variations between units currently manufactured and earlier units, and the positioning algorithms in the later firmware may not work as well in a few earlier units, although we are not sure at this point where the variation might be (if that is the case).

For any customer having issues with the MSL6060 and cartridge fetches (like error 3013), we suggest downgrading to either 5.07 or 4.30 (they are each slightly different) to see if the problem goes away.

Also, ensure that you have a support case opened with HP, and that they elevate that case to tier 3 (engineering) so that it can be officially tracked, and they will ensure that whatever the final resolution is (perhaps firmware change), that it addresses your specific failures.

Note: Most of engineering is out over the holidays, so it will be early January before the firmware team will be able to fully investigate this, so we appreciate your patience.

Dave
HP StorageWorks
Sustaining Engineering
Ilya P
Occasional Advisor

Dear Dave,

thank you so much for your efforts on resolving this issue.

I'm sure that both GFH and Vallo will agree that we're all suffering from an inconvenience caused by this issue -- once again thanks for sorting us out. However in my particular case HP Russia does not take a lot of efforts in resolving the situation. I have no idea how many of MSL6060 units were supplied here [Russia] but our HP service have a very brute force approach to problems. In my particular case this resulted in usless piece of hardware [MSL6060] an me being unavailable to perform a scheduled system backup. :-(((( That's what bothers....

Once again thanks for your efforts and have a vacations.

Cheers,
Ilya