108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL6060 and MSL6030 tape devices..

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Hutton
Honored Contributor

MSL6060 and MSL6030 tape devices..

Kind of a two part question. We just had two of these arrive, I've not had a chance to get it under our support so I'm here asking.

1) We have the E1200 FC to SCSI card in there, the document for connecting the hardware together shows 3 scsi cables and only 1 terminator (The small pdf on the cdrom page 2 I think). Yet the document if you didn't have the FC card shows a terminator in the top slot of the library card. Do I, or don't I need that second slot. Theres two diagrams a 5U and 10U, we have the 10U but we only have 2 drives so I'm going by the 5U diagram. This maybe why I have question #2.

2) Is there a better cookbook on getting the FC to scsi converter to be seen properly on my host? The problem I had was I could see the two drives and the controller but I couldn't see the library (well, I could. But it was in an unclaimed, unknown state). After changing around my configuration and coming across a different doc on how to use the indexed mapping for an HPUX server I attempted to do that, but now I have a bunch of ghost devices. Our environment is pretty simple with no zoning through a brocade switch. I think originally the configuration I was using was using the Auto features.

Any suggestions?

Dave Hutton
11 REPLIES 11
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: MSL6060 and MSL6030 tape devices..

Dave,

Are the drivers stape and schgr loaded in your kernel? Else the tape drives and robot changer will come up with a status unclaimed.

best regards,
Kurt

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Ghost devices? That sounds familiar. Put the changer on LUN 0 and the tape drives on LUN 1, ... - don't map the E1200 itself.
Dave Hutton
Honored Contributor

Will assign points at the end.

Kurt, I only have stape loaded not schgr. I just added it and the server is rebooting.

Uwe, I'll check to see how I have that. I think I have it set like you suggest.

This is how my table is so far:
FC LUN Protocol Bus Device Specific Address Type Status Device Description
0 PSCSI 0 Target= 0 Lun= 0 CHGR UP HP MSL6000 Series 0421
1 PSCSI 0 Target= 1 Lun= 0 TAPE UP HP Ultrium 2-SCSI F43W
2 PSCSI 1 Target= 2 Lun= 0 TAPE UP HP Ultrium 2-SCSI F43W
3 AF Lun= 0 CTLR UP HP NS E1200-160

I know that pdf talks about lun0 = bad when it comes to those extra devices.

Dave Hutton
Honored Contributor

Just a follow up. I installed the kernel driver and rebooted. I also went into the e1200 configuration tool and changed stuff back to auto since that was the way I was able to get it to work the first time (well, psudo work).

I also deleted the special files that it had spewed to the ghost devices and after the reboot cleaned everything up. I now see a library, E1200 ctl, and my 2 tape devices.

So, so far it seems like I'm on the right track again.

Thanks again)

Dave

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Dave,
one of our customers had a similar problem. We got it working with the same LUN mapping that you have shown, however the system administrator got the advice from HP to remove the E1200 (FC LUN 3, in your case). I don't recall the reasoning, sorry.
Dave Hutton
Honored Contributor

Uwe, I'm not real comfortable with how I have it. I'll give it a shot and try to remove the E1200 device and try to rebuild the mapping for it. I'm guessing that's why it suggests not using the automapping feature and using an index where you recreate it.

Thanks again.

Dave
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Dave,
if I recall correctly I used another pre-defined map (FC port 0, or something similar to this was the name) and then manually added the changer at FC LUN 0, tapes at 1 and 2. Are aware that the E1200 has a nice web interface, too? It makes editing of the maps a very easy task. Just make the main window as wide as possible or it could hide some buttons.

It looks like some changes don't get saved properly sometimes, so I try to reboot after every change and see if it is still there. When you are satisfied with the setup I suggest you make a copy of the E1200's configuration via FTP.
Dave Hutton
Honored Contributor

Uwe, just wondering if you had 2 terminators on the back on your tape unit? I'm seeing both drives, but strangely ltt and Netbackup seem to be having issues talking to the first one.
I'm not sure if the pdf is assuming a person had the cables already installed and was pre-E1200 installation. So it would of left a second terminator on the library card.
Or if I'm only supposed to have one terminator like the diagram suggests. If you are not sure, no worries.

I'm looking at my mappings now. My FC port 0 map looks like this:
FC Port 0
Port 0 Device Map

FC LUN Protocol Bus Device Specific Address Type Status Device Description
0 PSCSI 0 Target= 0 Lun= 0 CHGR UP HP MSL6000 Series 0421
1 PSCSI 0 Target= 1 Lun= 0 TAPE UP HP Ultrium 2-SCSI F43W
2 PSCSI 1 Target= 2 Lun= 0 TAPE UP HP Ultrium 2-SCSI F43W
3 AF Lun= 0 CTLR UP HP NS E1200-160

I think it's the same as I posted prior.

Dave

Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

Dave,

Use the following cabling scheme:

SCSI1 - tape drive 1 - terminator
SCSI2 - tape drive 2 - robot - terminator

where SCSI1 and SCSI2 are the two SCSI connection on the E1200 FC card.

regards,
Kurt