1748081 Members
5252 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL6060 presenting itself to servers twice

Monica Peck
Occasional Advisor

MSL6060 presenting itself to servers twice

I have an interesting problem that I wonder if you've seen before. Out MSL6060 tape library with the e1200 storage router has started making itself known to all the servers twice. It used to (and should) only be available once. This makes it look like we have two tape libraries and 4 tapedrives. Everything seems to work fine ... but our backup software keeps complaining we don't have enough licenses :-).

If we look in windows device manager on any of the servers it shows two medium changers. I suspect it is because we have multiple paths to the tape library ... but I thought secure path was supposed to handle that. If you've heard of this before could you let me know?
Monica
4 REPLIES 4

Re: MSL6060 presenting itself to servers twice

SecurePath is only interested in disk, and only disk on eva, hsg, ema, va or xp disk arrays at that.

If there are 2 paths to the tape drives through your san, you will see it all twice - the only way to stop this is to either

a) limit what HBAs can see the tape drive on the e1200 - usually this can be a little complex - the GUI interface for the FC router isn't very straightforward.

or

b) configure a seperate zone on your FC switches for your tape drives, only putting one HBA on your host(s) in the zone...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Kevin Shire
Occasional Contributor

Duncan's answer worked for us. We placed an HBA on each e1200. Switching is simple, go to the we interface. Select mapping and change all but one HBA on your backup server to index, this will prevent the other devices from seeing the tape library. Don't forget to press the Activate Mapping and Save button or your changes will not be seen by the system
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

And after you have found that the configuration works, don't forget to save it away with FTP. I had once just finished testing and was about to save it when the little box died and took all work with it :-(
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

just assign the map created to the WWN of one of the HBA present on your server, as Ducan said, but take care that if you are using a double fabric configuration, in case of failover, you can lost the library.
Another option is to add a dedicated HBA just for the backup and map that HBA in the E1200

marino