StoreEver Tape Storage
1753631 Members
5754 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSL6060 tape library acting UP - do I need battery acid?

Donny Jekels
Respected Contributor

MSL6060 tape library acting UP - do I need battery acid?

1. No hardware tape compression
2. Backup speeds same as Ultrium 1 tape drives (~40GB/hour).
I should see speeds around 90GB/hour.
3. Due to no compression, Ultrium 2 tapes are filling up after
600-700GB of data has been written. I was able to get >1TB
of data written to the tape in the past.

yes I did load the latest OS patch PHKL_28217

any rangers out there who experienced same - let us hear from you??
"Vision, is the art of seeing the invisible"
2 REPLIES 2
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Re: MSL6060 tape library acting UP - do I need battery acid?

Hi,

Something seems strange to me. Do you mean 600GB and 1TB data on one tape. Then your data must be very compressible (and compression is on). With hardware compression off no more then 200GB should fit on one media.

And, the speed of the Ultrium 1 drive, is it with compression on or off. With compression on and 2-1 compression ratio you should reach more then 100GB/h if there is no other bottlenecks.
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

Re: MSL6060 tape library acting UP - do I need battery acid?

Absolutely agree with Leif's comments, but also would like to find out about the data you're trying to back up and the hardware involved.

Specifically, where is the data? On a remote system? If so, 40GB/hr seems reasonable for a 100Mb link. It also seems reasonable for some hardware setups if you're using the disk and tape on the same SCSI channel, depending on the disks involved, RAID types, SCSI speeds etc.

What are you doing to back it up? NetWorker? Omniback? dd? NetBackup? Is the software or system having to do any extra work at the same time?
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.