1752794 Members
5885 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Media not found error MSL5052

Bill Morris_2
Occasional Advisor

Media not found error MSL5052

We are running Backup Exec 9.2 for NetWare. I have a MSL5052 with four tape drives. We purchased a HP 64-Bit/133MHz PCI-X 2CH Ultra320 HBA SCSI card so that we could attach 2 each drives to each port.

We configured the drives like it shows in "HP StorageWorks MSL5000 and MSL6000 Series Tape Libraries - Installation [Figure 9: HP StorageWorks MSL6060, MSL5060, and MSL5052 library SCSI cable configuration (four tape drives, dual host system)]".

Now when I run a job on number 3 or 4 drive I get the following error: Media was not found in HA:2 ID:1 LUN:3 COMPAQ 160GB SDLT LDRV. Please inserrt media or make sure that the media is inserted properly.

Does anyone know what my problem is?

Bill Morris
5 REPLIES 5
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

Could be your backup software hasn't recognised the 2 drives as being part of your library. Does Backup Exec list them as separate standalone drives (check the devices tab)???. Are the first 2 drives running jobs OK ??.

Alternatively, if you are running the job on the Host server connected to drives 3 & 4 - don't forget it has no direct connection to the robot - so all move media commands must be completed on the other server. This could be a simple configuration error under Backup Exec.
Bill Morris_2
Occasional Advisor

I seem to have misundertood the 2 host designation.

We have one server with a dual port SCSI card. I thought since they were seperate SCSI buses with two drives each that it would be considered two hosts.

What would be the proper configeration for a single server with a dual port SCSI card to improve backup speed?

Any ideas.
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

Aaahhh - that makes it simpler - all drives are connected to the same server. The "Dual Host" example in the book implies two servers connected!!.

You should have SCSI ports 0 & 1 on the SCSI adapter - have you got the robot (and drives 1&2) connected to the first port (port 0)??

Sounds to me like Backup Exec has "discovered" drives 3&4 before the library controller, because they are on a lower numbered bus, so has configured them as standalone drives.

As far as performance is concerned - your configuration (2 drives per bus) should be fine for SDLT2 drives and ULTRA320 buses.
Bill Morris_2
Occasional Advisor

I swapped the channel cables on the tape drives so that (drive 1,2 & library contoller) and (drive 3&4) were on the opposite buss as before:

Before the swap "list devices gave:

[V358-A6-D3:0] COMPAQ_SDLT320 [TAPE]
[V358-A6-D4:0] COMPAQ_SDLT320 [TAPE]
[V358-A5-D1:0] COMPAQ_SDLT320 [TAPE]
[V358-A5-D2:0] COMPAQ_SDLT320 [TAPE]

After the cables switch:

[V358-A5-D3:0] COMPAQ_SDLT320 [TAPE]
[V358-A5-D4:0] COMPAQ_SDLT320 [TAPE]
[V358-A6-D1:0] COMPAQ_SDLT320 [TAPE]
[V358-A6-D2:0] COMPAQ_SDLT320 [TAPE]

Both ways it shows Drives 3 & 4 as Stand-alone Drives in Backup Exec.

Bill

rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

This is where my Netware gets "sketchy" -

I think either Netware, or Backup Exec has "remembered" the order of the buses and drives, and you need to get rid of any previous configuration. With Backup Exec you can disable & delete the drives and library and start again. But you need to be sure Netware is configuring them in the correct order first. I don't know how you do that !

By the way - make sure you have enough licenses for the library drives, by default Backup Exec only allows a single drive in a library - you have to license each extra drive.