1753962 Members
7588 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Medium changer lost from Device Manager

_Rob Henderson
Occasional Contributor

Medium changer lost from Device Manager

I had a issue on the library reported as an Elevator Jam. Backup Exec 10.1d lost connection with the library.

After restarting library, MDR and servers (in that order) I see that the Medium Changer has disappeared from the Device Manager, but is visible on the MDR

I have a TL891DLX (fw 5.25) connected to an MDR (FW 1170). This is shared by 4 Windows 2003 SP1 servers with LP952 HBAs (FW 3.93a0)

The library SCSI ID 2 has one drive SCSI ID 3. HP StorageWorks Library and Tape Tools doe not see the library but report the drive as address 3/1.0.2

This seems to be a different SCSI ID to that configured on the library.

Any suggestions please?
4 REPLIES 4
Anthony Martin_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: Medium changer lost from Device Manager

Hi Rob,
This is a MDR/W2K3 problem. It you can get onto the MDR, it will show the library with a different scsi address than what W2K3 is expecting. I am assuming that you have performed a Microsoft hardware rescan.
What model MDR is this. By power cycling the MDR again, it may redetect everything.

On the windows servers, you need to do the following once the library & drives have been correctly redetected.
1. Check all windows servers that can "see" this library, have RSM turned off.
2. If you are running W2K3 then implement the Microsoft registry changes
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842411/en-us
3. Use the lputil or hbanywhere program to make the connections to the MDR/Library persistent

Cheer
Anthony
_Rob Henderson
Occasional Contributor

It's working again now

It didn't seem to matter about powering down and restarting library, MDR or servers.

Also tried bringing the firmware up from 1.17 to 1.18

Seems like a cabling issue, but should be 'cause the drive with detected.

After decabling MDR completely and reconnecting with the same cables is sprung into life

Anthony Martin_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Rob,
I am happy that you have resolved the issue "for the moment".
I would ensure that the scsi cables are not putting any weight on the MDR connector (eg hanging down with no support).
If it happens again, I would suggest that perhaps you investigate replacing the scsi cables and checking the electrical earth on all MDR and TL891

Good luck
Anthony
_Rob Henderson
Occasional Contributor

Still working at the moment. Will investigate possible SCSI cable issue if the problem re-occurs