StoreEver Tape Storage
1752568 Members
5295 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Moving DAT 12/24 to XP workstation

Jim Carls

Moving DAT 12/24 to XP workstation

I am moving a SureStore DAT24 internal drive from our old Novell server into a Dell XP Pro workstation (where we are sharing its disk with three older workstations in the office using NETBEUI). I want to set this up for basic backup of the workstation's disk, probably with UltraBac. Because the Compaq server had a built-in SCSI adapater, I have used an existing AdvanSys PCI controller from another machine. The problem a two-part one:

1) XP does not seem to detect the tape drive:

The SCSI card was detected and the Device Manager reports it is working properly. When the workstation boots, I get a boot screen from the SCSI card that lists the HP tape drive in one of the SCSI slots. The tape drive does have power, and I've double-checked the SCSI cable and its terminator.

2) I assume that XP will have the driver for the SureStore, however I also tried to find the driver on the HP web site and the search only turns up a toolkit for testing drives and tapes, but no reference to a driver. Any guidance about this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jim Carls
3 REPLIES 3
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: Moving DAT 12/24 to XP workstation

Jim,
1. this DAT drive is single ended. Please make sure your card is SE and not an HVD, see http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50063.html . If your adapter is really SE or LVD then check its bios settings for tape support or force it to work in SE mode (for example);
2. yes, drivers should already be in the OS. I've found drivers for 2000 and NT4 only. No XP drivers
Eugeny
Jim Carls

>not an HVD...SE or LVD<

Thanks for that information. I'm not sure what the HVD and LVD acronyms refer to, though, so I'm going to have to plead ignorance and ask for a little more of the basics. I don't know if this indicates anything, but I used the same cable that was used on the SCSI card (originally connected to a Jaz drive), which was short and had a single intermediate connector followed by a connector at the end with a terminator on it. I can't look at the card setup immediately because I've returned to my home office, but anything that would better prepare me for the next visit will be helpful. Thanks!
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

LVD = low voltage differential
HVD = high voltage differential
SE = single ended
LVD is backward compatible with SE, but HVD is not compatible with both, see http://www.paralan.com/scsiexpert.html
If you would ask which card is installed (its model) then I will check if it's HVD or not
Eugeny