StoreEver Tape Storage
1752796 Members
5654 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NAS s1200 with Ultrium 460 External - can't restore data from tape...

Vicentiu Maxim_1
Occasional Contributor

NAS s1200 with Ultrium 460 External - can't restore data from tape...

I have a NAS (Network Attached Storage) s1200 (640GB) and an external Ultrium 460 tape backup device connected through SCSI interface to the NAS. On NAS is installed Windows 2003 Server Appliance Edition.
The problem:
- Any kind of backup job that I'm trying to make with the W2003 Server's backup software (ntbackup), it seems that is working, but when I try to restore a file, I can't find any file but only the directory entries.
This problem occurs for all kind of backup jobs (incremental, differential and daily backup type), except the one (the normal type).
And I need to make or even backup jobs, not to save all data with backup job.
The only way of being able to restore is to make backup jobs written in files on disks and not on the tapes.
Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
Vicentiu.
3 REPLIES 3
Hoang Chi Cong_1
Honored Contributor

Re: NAS s1200 with Ultrium 460 External - can't restore data from tape...

Vicentiu.
Which backup software you use?
I think you should check the connection beetween the backup server and the client.
Is there any error or message during the backup progress?
Jim
Looking for a special chance.......
Vicentiu Maxim_1
Occasional Contributor

I use the backup utility from Windows 2003 Server Appliance Edition - Backup 5.2.37900.0(srv03_rtm.030324-2048) version.
There are following options for backup:
-normal
-copy
-incremental
-differential
-daily.
The only option which is working is the 'normal' backup type. The others won't work (they'll backup only directory entries).
Let's say that I have this example:
I want to backup this file "E:\projects\3456\drawings\drawing.dwg".
The incremental, differential and daily backup options will backup only the directory entries: "F:\projects\3456\drawings\".
When I try to restore I'll find on the tape only the directory "E:\projects\3456\drawings\" and no .dwg file. In the '\drawings\' directory I have the message "No entries found".
Only the normal backup type will make the backup of that .dwg file, be cause when I try to restore I find the .dwg file on the tape and I can restore it.
Beside that, I can't afford normal backups be cause I have too much information (GB) to backup and just a few files that are changing daily (let's say couple hundreds of drawings).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Vicentiu.
Hoang Chi Cong_1
Honored Contributor

Hm...
So that it very strange!
Anyway you can try to remove and reinstall again the backup software.
I don't understand about this situation.

I will send you any information if I found the solution.
Goodluck to you.

Jim
Looking for a special chance.......