108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NSR mapping

SOLVED
Go to solution
antonio difruscia
Regular Advisor

NSR mapping

I have a question about map settings on a HP e1200-320 NSR that is installed in a MSL6000.
What is the difference between indexed and Port 0 device map ? reason I am asking is because I have 2 MSL6000, one MSL6000 has a e1200-160 NSR, and the other has a e1200-320 NSR. on the e1200-160 NSR i have the mapping set to indexed and it works fine. on the e1200-320 NSR when it was set to indexed the tape drives were not seen on the host on the san. but when I changed the map settings to Port 0 Device Map, the tape drives were seen on the san by the host. Why does indexed work on one but not the other ? Also, i did set the e1200-320 fiber port to 2g since it is connected yo a 2g san switch.

thanks
TonyD
5 REPLIES 5
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi, there are 4 predefined maps. The mechanism is the following: after the host sends the command, the router selects which map it will use based on the port receiving the command and the WWN (in the FC) of the host sending the command. If the host is not assigned a specific map, the default (index) map is used. However the indexed map is empty by default. It is editable, but HP recommends not to edit the index map. The port 0 map should be used when editing/assigning oncoming hosts.
the pain is one part of the reality
antonio difruscia
Regular Advisor

I'm still a little confused.. So, if a new host tries to make a connection he is added to the index map by a wwn entry, and If I want to edit that wwn entry and assign a host name I go to port 0 map so i can edit the entry ?

thanks
TonyD
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

yes exactly
IBaltay
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
to be clearer, it wont be added to anywhere, and thats why you dont see any devices/drives, because the default is empty and if you have chosen the one which was editted by somebody? - the port 0 device map, the drives were seen
antonio difruscia
Regular Advisor

I think I got it now.. Nothing is mapped until you choose one the mapping choices, and activate it.. On my e1200-160 NSR someone already edited the index mapping choice, on my e1200-320 was brand new out of the box, didn't have any mapping edited/activated..

thanks
TonyD