cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTbackup using an AutoLoader

Ed_136
Occasional Visitor

NTbackup using an AutoLoader

I am trying to set up an 8 tape autoloader using only 4 tapes. I want to use native NTbackup command in a batch file and schedule it to do full and incremental backups on a daily/weekly basis. I need some examples on syntax so I can allocate tapes in an automated fashion. I would like to append/write to the first tape and continue until I change the 4 tapes (about every two weeks should suffice).

Any ideas on how to cause Server 2003 how to automatically call for next tape.
3 REPLIES
Joseph T. Wyckoff
Honored Contributor

Re: NTbackup using an AutoLoader

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/default.mspx

Look for NTBACKUP and RSM
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
Ed_136
Occasional Visitor

I have looked at the RSM and NTBACKUP examples on Technet, but the problem I have is I want the files to be appended to the tapes beginning at tape 1 and calling for another tape as needed and using tapes 2, 3 and 4 automatically.

I am not sure how you put another set of 4 tapes in the autoloader and begin overwriting the first tape and then appending from there on out to include tape 2, 3, 4.

I need an auto backup to a set of 4 tapes. I plan on removing after two weeks of use and replace them with another set of 4. Then reuse the 4 tapes from the first two weeks and repeat the process over and over.

I am stuck on how to zero out the tape as it will just append to the first tape if I design an append job only.
Scott Keepes
Occasional Visitor

I use 2 drives to do what you're asking to do, one for incrementals and one for full.