1748248 Members
3494 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Need PCI-X SAS external Tape connectivity solution but can't find right cable

Paul_637
Regular Advisor

Need PCI-X SAS external Tape connectivity solution but can't find right cable

I have a need to connect a 1760 SAS external drive (in a 1U rack-mount) to a DL380 G4.

Having searched the forums I found a thread stating the following:

"The HP supported option is the 347786-B21 PCI-X HBA which is an internal only HBA, then you have to use a special internal to external cable: AE468A"

So, I purchased these parts but the cable turns out to be a standard *external* cable rather than internal-to-external (despite every search for the part revealing a totally different picture of it which *looks* potentially internal-to-external!).

So, does such a lead actually exist?

Any pointers very much appreciated!
6 REPLIES 6
CLEB
Valued Contributor

Re: Need PCI-X SAS external Tape connectivity solution but can't find right cable

Sounds to me like you need a blanking plate with an embedded adapter port. So you can use an internal SAS cable to it, then use an normal SAS external cable.

I don't recall ever seeing this part on the HP site though.
Paul_637
Regular Advisor

Re: Need PCI-X SAS external Tape connectivity solution but can't find right cable

Sounds like a perfectly sensible solution but I've not seen anything remotely like that either...
CLEB
Valued Contributor

You probably won't get the best from the 1760 drive using the DL380G4 as the PCI-X bus might not be able to keep up.

You really need a PCIe bus and HBA inorder to make sure the drive gets a constant stream of data.

If you have to keep the DL380G4 you might have to look at a 3rd part cable solution, like this http://www.tmcscsi.com/SASextint.shtml#SASCABLES
Paul_637
Regular Advisor

Indeed. I'm actually investigating the option of shifting it to another server (by re-using a PCIe riser from another server) and have posted another question in the Proliant forum (about drivers) as another option.
CLEB
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't expect that to work as the DL380G4 motherboard has a PCI-X chipset and not PCIe.

It may even damage the motherboard and/or expansion cards.
Paul_637
Regular Advisor

I'm achieving it with the HP part specific to the job (354675-B21) so don't expect any problems other than getting drivers installed.