1753447 Members
4980 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

New DDS4 stacker crashes system

Richard Ray
Advisor

New DDS4 stacker crashes system

I just bought a HP SureStore DAT40x6e DDS4 6 tape stacker. When I hook up the scsi to my 755 the system will not boot. It goes thru the boot selection and stops at the point where it loads the kernel for about 5 minutes. After that it dumps several screens of debug data to the console and tries to reboot. If I remove the scsi cable it boots fine. I'm running 10.20 and I've got PHKL_20528. The debug is mostly Greek to me but I do see a lot of "Reset SCSI" messages.
4 REPLIES 4
Brian M. Fisher
Honored Contributor

Re: New DDS4 stacker crashes system

Are the duplicate SCSI id's on the chain?
Is the SCSI chain terminated?

Boot the system without the tape drive and do an ioscan -fn check to make sure no disk device is using the same SCSI id that the tape drive is set to.

Brian
<*(((>< er
Perception IS Reality
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Richard,

your trouble sounds exactly like a SCSI bus problem... The system panics because the kernel isn't able to initiate the I/O tree.

As Brian already pointed out, are this problems caused by bad cables, terminators or the wrong interface/device combination.

But the autoloader has a mean litle switch called the option switch. Make sure this one is set to '7' for a 9000/700 system
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
Richard Ray
Advisor

Thanks for the help but no cigar. I spoke with a HP SE who pointed out that the old 755 FW SCSI is a different standard than the new low voltage FW SCSI. So, basically I need a new adapter.
Michael Lampi
Trusted Contributor

You can also use a wide to narrow converter
cable to connect your DDS4 stacker to the
slow, narrow SCSI bus on your 755.

This way you don't need to buy an EISA SCSI
board for your system.
A journey of 1000 steps ends in a mile.