Storage Boards Cleanup
To make it easier to find information about HPE Storage products and solutions, we are doing spring cleaning. This includes consolidation of some older boards, and a simpler structure that more accurately reflects how people use HPE Storage.
Tape Libraries and Drives
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New DLT vs80 drive & old DLT IV tapes!!!

Sinh Ta
Occasional Visitor

New DLT vs80 drive & old DLT IV tapes!!!

Hello everyone,

We resently acquired a new DLT vs80 drive. When we try to format some old DLT IV tapes (previously used with Compaq DLT4000), we keep getting the message: "The drive is write-protected", when it's not.

I've checked on the HP support web site and they recommend to use the magnetics bulk eraser, but I don't have one and really don't want to buy one! If anyone has the workaround, please let me know.

Many thanks,
3 REPLIES
Jon Mattatall
Esteemed Contributor

Re: New DLT vs80 drive & old DLT IV tapes!!!

Bad News....

Check here for details on sv80 tape compatibility...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg50230&locale=en_US&taskId=8414&taskName=troubleshoot+a+problem&prodSeriesId=63898&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesName=hp+surestore+dlt+vs80+drives&docId=92396

The problem seems to be that you can read from tapes previously used in a DLT4000 drive, but yopu cannot write to them. At that, it could be worse, as the chart indicates you cannot read or write a tape used in a DLT7000 OR 8000 drive.

Jon
A little knowledge is dangerous - none is absolutely terrifying!!!
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

It is telling you so because vs80s, like DLT1s, are backward compatible ONLY to DLT4000 format, but cannot write with that format. You can only read it.

So in order to write on those tapes, you have to erase the format in them i.e. bulk erase it.

Otherwise, buy new media (DLT IV ONLY) and you should be fine.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Sinh Ta
Occasional Visitor

Hello and thanks for those replies,

We only have 10 old DLT IV tapes and that the main reason for not purchase the bulk eraser. I'd guess that we'll look for someone to do the tape erasing for us.

Many thanks,