1752780 Members
6489 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

New documentation

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

New documentation

I started work on a new ESL9326DX with no drives by default. I then installed two hot-plug DLT8000 drives. The backplane and SCSI connector panel in the rear is different from the ESL9326D that I installed some ten months ago, but all the printed documentation still seems to reflect the older hardware configuration.
The old ESL had two drive bays per SCSI channel by default, and every other SCSI connector in the bottom was terminated. This new ESL doesn't have any terminators in the bottom, and the drive bays don't seem to be wired in pairs. Instead, a cable from each drive bay runs down to the SCSI connector panel. There is also a ribbon cable connecting all the drive bays, but I assume that's some form of internal management.
Per the Tape Upgrade documentation, I changed the number of drives installed to two, and I can run move cartridge commands to both drives. However, the drives seem to have picked up SCSI IDs 1 & 3 respectively. Shouldn't this be 1 & 2?
In any case, I connected SCSI connectors A, B & Q (Q is the robot arm) to an MDR. Doing a "showSCSIports" on the MDR I only pick up two targets, from SCSI connectors A & Q.
Since the documentation isn't updated to this new wiring scheme I'm looking for new docs on the ESL9326DX. The ones I found on Compaq's storage site contains the originial docs.
/charles
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: New documentation

If you're still looking for the documentation, let me know. I'll check with the storageworks engineering group to see if the update is available.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hello,
Thank you for your reply. I opened a case with Compaq Support, and they couldn't find any updates either. After some tinkering it became a bit clearer, and the only difference was that the scsi connector board on the drive bay was horizontal instead of vertical. Also, when you buy an empty ESL9000 (no drives) it seems it's not pre-wired with the drive bays paired up on a scsi bus. I assume such minor changes does not warrant a rewrite of the manual.
I have some pictures where you can clearly see the differences, I'd be happy to send them to you if you want.
/charles
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Charles,

If you've got pictures - by all means send them to support@compaq.com - we'll certainly use them here, and possibly put them in a FAQ so we can all benefit. Thanks very much for the offer. In your email you could quote the message above, or just ask for it to get forwarded to phil y in ES delivery and I'll handle it.

Phil y
eServices Delivery