Re: No robotic device detected

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adel Elamin
Frequent Advisor

No robotic device detected

Hi all
I have the following

1- HP StorageWork 1/8 autoloader Product# AF203A connected directly to the cell manager through SCSI port

2- node1.areeba.com.sd, & node2.areeba.com.sd Windows 2003 clustered and both of them contain Microsoft exchange server 2003 with huge amount of mail box about 300GB

3- Both node1 and node2 have HP DP 5.5 disk agent and Exchange 2003 integration installed

4- mtc.areeba.com.sd is the cell manager which have disk and media agent installed

I have two issues
1- DP 5.5 detect the Autoloader as a drive only (HP:Ultrium 2-SCSI) and when I try to add SCSI library it says no robotic device detected 159:13044, so I have to load the cartridge for the slot to the drive manually form the Autoloader it self

2- I can not take full backup for all mail box which about 300GB it give an unknown error, but I can take a backup for less than 85GB, please find my attachment for the described errors

Any reply could help
Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You will see this problem likely if you connect the library to a RAID controller.

If you use a "normal" SCSI card it will work.

Look up the specs of the library and server to find a supported list of HBAs.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

yes first step is to use a dedicated SCSI HBA and not a raid controller
second is to enable LUN support on the SCSI HBA because the robot is seen as a LUN of the SCSI id of the drive
Adel Elamin
Frequent Advisor

Thanks all
but I would like to mention than this autoloader robotic was working properly with the DP5.5, when the first issue exist which I can not take the full backup for all mail box I did install some patches and then I uninstall the DP and Installed back again.
I tried to configure the SCSI library again but it says "no robotic device detected"

I don├в t know who install this system at the first time coz he has left the company
any reply could help

Thanks
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

at this point you should be sure to see the Autoloader during boot process, the HBA should identify both, the Drive and the Changer.
Then it should be detected by the OS ( check device manager on windows machine)
if the autoloader or robot or changer (the name depend of the driver) is detect in your os, then you should reconfigure the backup application.
Adel Elamin
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Marino

yes during the boot process the controller detect the Autoloader Drive only at the port 1 ID 5 as well as it shows the Defective HDD at the port 2 ID 1 coz I have a defective mirror HDD at this port

Please find my attachment which include the screen shot for the boot screen

Thanks
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As others have said, you have got the autoloader connected to the external port of a SmartArray controller, which isn't supported.

Why it worked prior to patching DP, I don't know, but you should get yourself a SCSI card to attach the loader to.

The latest compatibility matrix can be found from here:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ebs/

Cheers,

Rob
Adel Elamin
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
I my self wonder how it worked prior to the Patched DP, anyway I have ordered a SCSI card--->403051-001 to attach to DL380 G4 which this sever is the cell and media agent

Till my SCSI card order arrives, I will try it and give my reply. I expect my order will take one week.

I hope this solution will work.

Thanks all,
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

BTW, not supported does not always mean not working ;-)
But if it does not work, there is no reason to wonder ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I did wonder whether, when attempting to resolve your failed disk in the server, if additional drives were installed in the internal drive cage.

That may well have altered the SCSI IDs of devices on the bus, possibly creating a duplicate, which could explain why the autoloader couldn't be seen...

Cheers,

Rob