1753930 Members
9465 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Not able to see tape Library

guru_6
Advisor

Not able to see tape Library

I have tape library (TL891 minilibrary ) with one drive connected through SCSI cable to Modular data router, which is connected to fiber switch and also my windows 2000 server is connected to switch.I'm not able to see library drive and the media in my backup software Arcserver 2000.

I have use the BMC and configure the MDR, but still no progress.

If any one have experince with ...please help.
6 REPLIES 6
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

Re: Not able to see tape Library

How about zoning at the switch. Is your HBA in the backup server allowed to see the MDR.

Is the MDR configured with the correct WWNs for the server's HBA.

What map file is assigned to it?

What fiber devices can you see in the Windows device list.

Did you do a scan for disk in the disk manager after configuring the tape drive. Even though it's a tape drive, the scan for disks will update the device list on the SAN
guru_5
Advisor

The situation is like this:

1- The switch (MDR) is having two scsi ports and one Fc port, the windows device manager always showing that Compaq scsi array data router device with yellow mark like driver is required.
I have configure the WWN same as alias name.

Please help me and guide me through the configuration ..becuase I'm new to this.

Many thanks
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

guru,
first of all if you want to get rid of the Windows yellow mark do the following:
-connect to the MDR with the serial cable
-run a terminal emulator (hyper terminal is OK) at baud 9600 8bit No parity 1 stop bit XON/XOFF
-at the AMC prompt run this command setsccmode off
-answer yes to the question
-reboot the MDR
-rescan devices in windows

Secondly, make sure your SCSI ports of the MDR module are of the correct type. They could be HVD or LVD/SE. The library TL891 is an HVD. If you're using wrong SCSI module, you'll see nothing wih your OS. There's an useful command that you can run at the AMC prompt: showscsidevices
The output, except the first line (that represents the MDR itself), is exactly what your MDR sees.

Assuming you have the correct SCSI module, make sure you are connecting all the elements of your library to the MDR SCSI port. For instance, put a SCSI cable at port 1 of SCSI module, go to the first connector on the left side (looking at the back of the TL891), than put a second (short) SCSI cable from the second connector to the third (=robot to drive), and finally put a terminator on the fourth connector.
Do your tests with MDR. showscsidevices is a good starting point. If you see correctly devices locally but you do not see with OS you may have a zoned switch or a "Selective Storage Presentation" on MDR (is it a new MDR or it comes from another site? Maybe is customized for SSP...).
Let us know

Claudio
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

Does the MDR have an IP address and is it connected to your network. If so, you can use the web interface to view and configure it.

First go to the Discovery section and see if the MDR sees the robot and tape drives. If not fix that first. (SCSI cables etc.)

Next make sure you have configured a host with the correct WWN for the windows server in the MDR. A part of the host configuration is which map to use. (note: there is also a default map to be used for hosts that are not configured)

You then need to edit the map to be sure all the devices you want are listed in the map. These are the devices and associated SCSI address that the server will see when it queries the MDR. It sounds like the only device listed in the map being used is the MDR itself.
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

for Bill Costigan: guru is dealing with an MDR, not NSR...
No web interface is available for MDR. MDR Ethernet port is intended only for sending SNMP traps. Never seen used.

Claudio
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

Sorry