3588 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OBDR trouble

Emir Faisal
Frequent Advisor

OBDR trouble

Hi,
I'm not sure whether should I go to this mkCDrec or HP forum, to seek help. I'm sorry if my question is OT.
Whenever I boot the machine then put the OBDR tape in and go into OBDR mode, the boot process only hangs trying to boot from tape. The last message i get on the screen is "Attempting Boot From CD-ROM", and it hangs there.

my specs are:
- Compaq Proliant ML370 G4
- Tape drive attached to onboard SCSI Controller (Ultra320)
- HP Storageworks Ultrium 960 (tape capacity 800GB)
- mkCDrec 0.8.8

Please help.

Thanks in advance,
EF
Everything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about.
2 REPLIES 2
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

mkCDrec is freeware, ala' SourceForge, so it's a really good guess that you're not going to get any support from HP.

Looking at the SourceForge page for it, it appears that it doesn't support Tape as a boot device anyway - they mention CD-ROM only.

Are you sure you are follwing the instructions?

From the looks of it (I haven't used this particular software), it sounds like you need to put the CD-ROM that mkCDrec created into the machine, and boot off of that... then you should be able to restore from the tape.

If this is what you are doing, check that the kernel that mkCDrec is putting on the CD-ROM has all the drivers needed for the tape drive you're using.

You may need to download and fix the code that's on SorceForge...

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Please see the following Customer Advisory and see if it applies.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EL041215_CW02

I hope this helps.

Brian