108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

One tape backup for two different sources

SOLVED
Go to solution
scott_417
Frequent Advisor

One tape backup for two different sources

Assume in a server that hosts a database and a web server. Only one SCSI card is installed on the server for the external tape backup.

The files backed up for the database are stored at directory of: c:\oracle\db\backup, while for the web server they are stored at directory of: c:\web\backup.

Now I want to use one tape backup unit to backup the two locations above.

1) Can I schedule the backup at 2:00 am for BOTH the locations above? If answer is YES, can I set to the "write over" mode for the full backup for both of them? (I mean, won't the one location's backup over write the other?)

2) If answer to 1) is NO, can I schedule the backup at two separate times, such as web files at 2:00 am while the data files at 5:00 am? And I want to set to the "write over" mode for the full backup for both of them. Won't the 5:00 am backup over write the 2:00am backup?

Thanks to help.

Scott
4 REPLIES 4
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: One tape backup for two different sources

Hi,

You have not mentioned your backup software.
If using a product as (e.g) Data Protector, it is not any problem, schedule both objects in one job, scehdule as separate objects etc..

If you use a freeware, I am not sure. I would recommend you to use a serious backup software.
scott_417
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the response.

The backup software is the Yosemite's TapeWare. --So the answers to Questions 1 and 2 are both YES?
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Any piece of backup software should be able to backup multiple directories without any problems.

I would suggest perusing the manuals of the software you are using and learning its functions and capabilities.

Hi,

Yes, you can backup multiple directories at time to the same tape, regardless what is the content of it. All most all known softwares supports this functionality. You can even take backup of another server folder to the same tape at the same time, by mapping that directory to this server
Regards,
Sunil
Your imagination is the preview of your life's coming attractions