StoreEver Tape Storage
1748008 Members
4733 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Only one tape drive (tape0) can take backup, 2nd one (tape1) can not take backup

rana786
Regular Advisor

Only one tape drive (tape0) can take backup, 2nd one (tape1) can not take backup

Hi all,

I am using MSL6030 for taking backup. Backup software is legato. Recently I found all backup have been taken by tape0 drive. Drive tape1 is completely idle and can not be mounted. I dont know what is wrong with the drive tape1. I cleaned and restarted library but the result is same. Cleaning status of tape1 drive does not updated after clean. Can anyone help me with this issue?

Best regards,
Rana
Walker_dhk
4 REPLIES 4
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Only one tape drive (tape0) can take backup, 2nd one (tape1) can not take backup

Can you access to the web interface of the library? What is the status of that drive reported by the web interface?
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
rana786
Regular Advisor

Re: Only one tape drive (tape0) can take backup, 2nd one (tape1) can not take backup

Hi Ivan,

Both tape drive is fine. Using HP Tape tool I found both drive is healthy with a same warning. It says the firmware is out dated. But how come one drive is working fine with the same firmware. Should I need to upgrade firmware? If it is then will it effect the existing configuration of legato?

Best regards,
Rana
Walker_dhk
goldboy
Trusted Contributor

I am not that familier with Legato but in data protector you have to define the backup for a specific drive.
isnt that the case in legato ? dont you have to define jobs for the 2nd tape drive ?

about the firmware, there have been enough issues with older firmwares, I would suggest to upgrade to the latest (worked out for me), you can download the latest firmware for your drives and library from the following link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=316040

T
"Life is what you make out of them!"
rana786
Regular Advisor

Hi Goldberg,

All backup jobs are scheduled by Legato software for using both drive (tape0 &tape1). But unfortunately only one drive (tape0) is functional. It can mount selected cartridge and take backup automatically according to the schedule. But the other drive (tape1) can not mount cartridge and take backup. Even if I manually select to mount the cartridge it can not mount tape and start backup.
Using tape tool I found the firmware status of both drive is out dated. But how come one drive is still functional and the other one is not.
Anyway if I want to upgrade firmware of this tape library what will be the impact on the existing scheduled backup? Do I need to reschedule all backup? or it will not effect existing configuration.

Best regards,
Rana
Walker_dhk