5496 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Password for Firmware downgrade on HP Ultrium 448

SOLVED
Go to solution
Achim Peters

Password for Firmware downgrade on HP Ultrium 448

I bought a used LTO2 internal drive from 2005. It worked fine. I upgraded the firmware with the L&TT from S24D to the current S63D. Now I'm getting unrecoverable write errors on the L&TT's assessment test (tried various brand new tapes).

In order to verify that it's because of the firmware upgrade and to possibly fix the problem, I wanted to go back to S24d. I downloaded the older firmware file(s), but they're marked as "downgrading, password required". So, I require a password and possibly instructions where to enter it, since I don't see any field to enter a password.

Thanks in advance!

Achim
7 REPLIES 7
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

Re: Password for Firmware downgrade on HP Ultrium 448

hi,

you can only get the password from HP.

contact them and explain the situation and they will provide you with it and the details of where to enter it in the lt&t s/w

the passwords are specific to drives and model numbers and current firmware level

Andy

Achim Peters

Hi Andy,

thanks for the quick response. I thought, this _is_ HP, though? The server's domain is hp.com after all.

Thanks again

Achim

Ronny_7
Regular Advisor

Hi Achim,

You can refer to the LTT user guide,
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01126624/c01126624.pdf

Refer to "Using passwords" on page 162.
There is description on where to enter the password.

To obtain the password, what Andy meant is that you need to call HP support directly.

Regards
Wei Jung
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Peters, for firmware downgrade only HP can provide you with a temporary password.
This password is 2 day password, you can use it for now, but it will expire 2 days from today.

Temporary password is '3AXRR5V3FAYEFB'
Password valid 2 days from 11/21/2007
(Remove ('') for password use)

Go to LTT and select the Enable Factory Overrides and enter this password.
After that, got to the Firmware button then Options and then check the one that says Allow firmware downgrade.
Achim Peters

Hi Wei,
thank you very much. I could downgrade now. I had contacted HP support in the meantime, but still haven't got a reply.

My drive still reports errors, though - sigh.

Achim
Wei Jung
Trusted Contributor

Hum, you might one to perform a drive assessment and send the report to support ticket.
markzz
Advisor

Sorry to drag up a very old thread but I have the same issue. I was running Firmware S63D/Standalone, the drive was performing fine.. I installed the new version of Tape Tools (4.3sr1) which suggested I upgrade the Tape Drive to S65D/StandAlone. Once upgraded the drive began reporting a high error rate and unrecoverable tape errors. I've cleaned the drive and used a new HP tape but have the same unrecoverable error issue. I figure it's time to go back to the previous verison firmware and run the drive tests again. Any assistance with this password would be greatly appreciated HP.