New Discussion юеВ

Re: Presenting MSL6030 Fibre Channel Tape Library to Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
David.Dimbleby
Advisor

Presenting MSL6030 Fibre Channel Tape Library to Server

Afternoon.

Trying to present an HP StorageWorks MSL6030 2 Ultrium 960 Drive Fibre Channel Tape Library to a File Server (FS) on the same HP SAN Switch, and having problems being able to see the tape library from the Server. FS can see MSA presented HDDs with no issues.

Here's what I have done;

1) Plugged the e1200-320 4G Interface Controller into the SAN switch.
2) Put WWN of above interface controller and FS HBA into same Zone.
3) Installed Tape Device Drivers on FS.
4) Added a mapping for the File Server in the FC PORT 0 MAP SETTINGS section using the web management of the Interface Controller. In the map (Indexed) it shows the 4 LUN's I have enabled, plus the Tape Changer and 2 x Tape Units - a total of 7 x FC LUNS as per the attachment.

I was then hoping to somehow magically be able to see the Tape Library on the FS, either via Device Manager or the HP L&TT utility but no joy.

Am I missing a step?

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

try changing your mapping so lun0 is the changer then tapes then nsr.

good luck

David.Dimbleby
Advisor

Thanks - I've added the mappings in manually as suggested (& attached) but still no joy. Definitely missing something..
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Why the NSR appears 4 times?
The usual map has NSR on ID 0, MSL changer in ID 1 and the drives on ID 2 and 3.
Try to clear the map and the use the "Fill map" button.
David.Dimbleby
Advisor

Thanks for the response.

Had enabled 4 x Controller LUNS, hence the 4 x NSRs. Have now reduced to the default of one and have the ID order as suggested (see attachment), but cannot see the Tape Library either via Device Manager or the HP L&TT.

Will triple check my host details (also in attachment). but if you have any other pointers they would be appreciated.

marsh_1
Honored Contributor

david,

are you definitely able to see the library from the server over the san using something like fcping ?
old-fashioned approach - reboot nsr ! :-)

good luck

David.Dimbleby
Advisor

Thanks. Had trouble with the FCPing compilation so tried bypassing the SAN switch etc. and upgrading the Firmware, all to no avail. Just changed the FC Port Mode to 'Autosense' and we have life!

Thanks for your time.
David.Dimbleby
Advisor

Spoke to soon - The FC Interface is always up now and can now get it working when in a loop i.e. between the Tape Library and the Server, but it will not see the Tape Library when going via the SAN switch in the Fabric. Have replicated the exact mapping that was auto-created when in a loop and still no joy... FYI In either a loop or fabric the discovery mode doesn't reveal any devices.

Thanks,
marsh_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

the connectivity over the san sounds like the zoning needs revisiting.

David.Dimbleby
Advisor

Spot on Mark - Had neglected to add my new zone to the zone config. All visible now so thanks again.