StoreEver Tape Storage
1745830 Members
3969 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem Ultrium LTO with BrightStore ArcServe v. 9

A. Raso

Problem Ultrium LTO with BrightStore ArcServe v. 9

I've a HP Netserver E60 Windows 2000 Server with an Adaptec 39320 SCSI card and an HP Ultrium 215. The backup software is CA ArcServe v.9. Near the end of the backup job, I recive the next error message:
E6300 Windows NT SCSI PORT Error
I have the lastest firmware in the LTO drive and the lastest drivers from Adaptec. I have changed the SCSI cable and not solve the problem.
Anyone could help me?
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

Re: Problem Ultrium LTO with BrightStore ArcServe v. 9

Well, this *is* either a basic SCSI connectivity problem or some sort of conflict. My guess, since it only occurs towards the end of the backup, is that there's a problem with some command going through to the drive on a particular SCSI pin, or that there's some other software or driver interfering on an occasional basis.

Check the physical connectors to see if there's any noticeable problem, including on the system boards. Also take a look for any software or drivers which may interfere, such as stuff like Compaq Storage Agent or similar.
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.
A. Raso

Thanks Stuart. More info: when the error occurs, the backup fail and the LTO drive disappear from the system. I need to restart the drive and the Tape Engine of ArcServe to use it again.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

> when the error occurs, the backup fail and the LTO drive disappear from the system. I need to restart the drive ...

Either the SCSI bus is getting in a bad state (bad/loose cable/connnection, bad terminator, etc), or the drive firmware is getting hung.

There were fixes for some write hangs in N26D firmware (released earlier this year).

From the release notes:
Fixes for drive hangs where the drive stops responding over the SCSI bus and power cycling of the drive, or pressing the drive Reset button, is the only way to recover normal functionality. Includes potential hang situations when: - A backup begins by appending to a tape already containing data. - A backup or restore requires a long duration space command. - End of media is reached during a backup.

If you are on the latest firmware, does the problem happen with multiple tapes?
The journey IS the reward.