1748123 Members
3337 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem dat drive not showing in veritas backup software

Muhammad Shamroze
Frequent Advisor

Problem dat drive not showing in veritas backup software

There is DL380 G4 Server on which Windows 2003 server Operating system is running and DAT 72 USB External Drive is installed, as the DAT 72 storage device driver is installed and working fine on Windows 2003 OS. As veritas backup software version 10 is also installed on the OS, but the device is not showing on Veritas Backup Software, so any body suggest what should be done so that i can see the device in veritas backup software....Please Reply as soon as possible...thankyou
7 REPLIES 7
pete krohn
Occasional Advisor

once had same problem. ac powered down the server, we disconnected the drive, then re-attach drive, reboot with drive in place during power up.

also, verify that Veritas has latest update.

usb devices should be "transparent" to os and be visible to all software once usb device is recognized

Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

for what I remember, Veritas 10 do not have support for this drive, you can check in the veritas compatibility list

probably you have to move to version 11

marino
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

ok I checked,

version 10.1 have suport for that drive

StorageWorks DAT 72 USB HP^^^^^^C7438A USB 2.0 4mm

so be sure to have it on a USB2, have the latest FW, and run tapeinst.exe to load Veritas drivers
Muhammad Shamroze
Frequent Advisor

AS veritas version 10.0 also supports the DAT 72 as i have also check it by disable the services of removable storage and installed the latest driver of DAT72 (hpdat.sys) and USB and also installed the veritas software thorugh back exec driver but still the device not been showing there in veritas backup exec 10.0
Muhammad Shamroze
Frequent Advisor

the veritas version 10.0 also supports the DAT 72 USB but also showing footnotes that is :

(1) The Backup Exec Intelligent Disaster Recovery Option is not supported.
(2) The Hewlett Packard HPDAT.SYS driver v1.5.3.1 (or higher) is required for use with Backup Exec for Windows Servers. Please contact HP to acquire this driver.

The latest driver including hpdat.sys is installed, I have also check it by disable the services of removable storage and USB and also installed the veritas software thorugh back exec driver and then run the tapeinst.exe and configration wizard but still the device not been showing there in veritas backup exec 10.0
Anton Francisco

Hello has anybody has successfully mount the HP storageworks dat72 USB internal drive using Veritas BackupExec 10? I ahve already updated the firmware to v1.5.3.2 but still the veritas doesnt find the tape drive. Any solutions please. if you have you may email me at anton@asianspirit.com
kingswaygroup
Occasional Advisor

The problems you are seeing with Veritas is showing up in other software and other operating systems. I have spoken with a vendor of software for Linux and SCO operating systems as we have seen this problem for quite a while and they confirm that they too have seen and presented the problem to HP with no recognition or resolution of a problem to date. We currently have an ML350G4p that will write to the tape but does not see a tape once that is done. A reboot does not fix the problem, only a full power down does, and then the tape with all the data is readable. This instance is with SCO. Last week I had it on RH Linux ES4. We also saw this on DAT40 unit. Oh, and whether it is SCSI or USB does not change the situation. The weird thing is that the I have had the problem on some machines only on a weekly basis. Others have reported seeing it on odd timings as well, thus making it difficult for HP to repeat in house. Oddly, I have heard that even an HP person has reported the problem but this has not gained enough recognition. I would not be so fast to blame the software vendors this time. It seems to cross machines and hardware. Maybe it is a power problem?