4939 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem tape detection of DLT-IV works but SDLT-1 not

Pierre Bernhardt
Occasional Contributor

Problem tape detection of DLT-IV works but SDLT-1 not

Hello,

my DLT110/220 has a problem with detektion of SDLT-1 tape cartriges.
I'm using Debian Lenny with an Adaptec 2940 Wide SCSI
If I load a tape DLT-IV which is written allready by an DLT-1 tape drive the tape is detected and I can made some simple actions with mt command.
If I load a DLT-IV cartrige written in an DLT-7000 the tape is detected and I can made with mt most of the mt commands e.g. file positions and so on.
If I insert an SDLT-1 empty cartrige the tape looks like to be recognized by the drive. Only the middle green led is on.
But if I try to use the drive the most commands from mt tool now hangs.
I have no idea whats the behavior for such a problem because the DLT-IV cartriges looks like working well with the drive.
If I use another SDLT-1 cartriges the same situation.
Detailed command informantion are shown in the attachement.
3 REPLIES 3
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem tape detection of DLT-IV works but SDLT-1 not

I'm not sure I can help you fix the problem. But I have some information, that could be helpfull.

SDLT use a different read/write head than dlt.
So for the SDLT drive to read a dlt tape, an extra head is installed.

So could be, that the dlt head is ok, but the SDLT is bad.

Downlaod and install Library and tape tools from hp.com.
Install it, and use it to test the drive.

Consider to clean the drive, using a SDLT cleaning tape - NEVER, NEVER put a DLT cleaning tape in a SDLT drive, it will caurse a dropped tapeleader.

Test using a brand new SDLT tape.

If I remember correct, SDLT can read DLT tapes only.

When you are using L&TT, LTT must have exclusive access to the drive, so do stop services/deamons or whatever for the backup application.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Pierre Bernhardt
Occasional Contributor

Ok, I checked it with some used SDLT-1 cartriges and with a clean new one. On all the same situation.
If I'm standing in front of the drive the cartrige is loaded, the drive is working and after some time the middle led is on: I looks like for me in front of the drive: all ok and the tape is identified.
If there is a problem with the SDLT-1 head, why did means the drive controller all looks like ok? No error led is shown at the drive.
And why did the drive don't answers mt. Only mt status gives me an result. No others looks working.
I must check if there are tools available for installed linux.

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

L&TT should be available for Linux.
Do install it, and run an acceptens test for the drive, using a new tape.

Even though it appear ok, there still can be a read problem. Possibly on the old tapes.

Don't you have to format new tapes?

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo