StoreEver Tape Storage
1748200 Members
3893 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem with a Sun Storedge L9 (HP SureStore 1/9)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Charles E Nadeau

Problem with a Sun Storedge L9 (HP SureStore 1/9)

Upon powering a Sun Storedge L9 (a rebranded HP SureStore 1/9) after it had been stored away for a few years this error message was displayed on the front panel display:

"System failure
write this down, and
then power cycle
IR Overrun!"

The unit was not connected to the host at the time but the SCSI terminator and the cable linking the controller card to the drive module were. The unit had no tapes in it. The front panel LED bar was flashing green. The controller LED was green (meaning "Controller passed power-on test"). The SCSI LED was off. Drive module LEDs were off and green (meaning "Drive online and available")
I loaded the unit with tapes and the result is the same.

I searched on the web for the error message above and couldn't find anything.
Has this situation happened to anybody else?
Thanks!

Charles
8 REPLIES 8
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

That one shouldn't happen often. The library uses an infrared (IR) serial link between a controller on the picker/gripper assembly and the main library controller. That error means that the picker is sending bytes faster than the main controller can accept them. That shouldn't ever happen as the two controller use the same serial hardware and the main controller gets a hardware interrupt when a byte arrives. I only ever saw that in development.

A couple of things I can think of that you can try.

First of all are you in an area where there may be stray IR signals around (remote controls, IR headphones, etc)? Even if you don't think you are it might be worth while to make certain that the window in the front of the library is covered then power cycle. That window doesn't let a lot of light through when tapes are loaded and IR bounce is rarely a problem so that may not solve your issue.

Since the unit has been in storage it may be useful to reset the defaults on the main controller. That isn't trivial. You have to have to remove an access panel on the side and locate a small white button on the library controller. Turn off the library, hold down the button, turn on the library, wait 30 seconds, release the button. That will force the library to dump all persistent settings like SCSI ID and revert to factory defaults.

Charles E Nadeau

Curtis,

Thanks for your answer!
I covered the top window with a thick book and started the unit.
Here is what was displayed on the front panel display:

Hard error
Timed out on a command sent
to the transport controller

Pressed more ->
Hard Error
Failled REZERO

Pressed more ->
Hard Error
Timestamp invalid
Code 0, Quantifier 86
Sequence ....
116, 117, 118, 119, 54, 0

Pressed more ->
Hard error
Suggestion (1/3)
Run "Recalibrate library"
diagnostic test

Pressed more ->
Hard error
Suggestion (2/3)
Clear the tape path

Pressed more ->
Hard error
Suggestion (3/3)
Check the host is idle, and power
cycle the tape library

Pressed more ->
Hard error
Field replaceable units
None recorded

Through the menus, I recalibrated the library and got these messages on the front screen:

Hard error
Library failed during
initialization. IR checksum
error on status from the
transport controller

Pressed more ->
Hard Error
Failled REZERO

Pressed more ->
Hard Error
Timestamp invalid
Code 0, Quantifier 86
Sequence ....
116, 117, 118, 119, 54, 0

Pressed more ->
Hard error
Suggestion (1/3)
diagnostic test

Pressed more ->
Hard error
Suggestion (2/3)
Clear the tape path

Pressed more ->
Hard error
Suggestion (3/3)
cycle the tape library

Pressed more ->
Hard error
Field replaceable units
1. Library Transport Assy
2. Library controller card
3. Motherboard

I turned off the unit, then unplugged it.

I'll now try to find the main controller.

Thanks for your help!

Charles
Charles E Nadeau

Curtis,

I located the white button (labelled S1) on the library controller by taking it out of the unit (relying of the schematics from "Tape Autoloader Model 1/9 Upgrade and Parts Replacement Guide Edition 2"). It is toward the bottom back of the card, facing the power supply.
I opened the side panel and to access the side of the library controller card where the white button is, I'll have to remove the back magazine (and before that the tape unit itself).
Am I looking at the right place? To me, there is no way to access this button while the power supply is in the unit.
Am I right?
Thanks!

Charles
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

You won't need the reset button. It's a real pain to hold down on that library and the problems you are having don't sound like that is it now. Apparently the IR OVERRUN was due to some stray IR going through the top window as you are past that now.

It sounds like your issue now is that the transport may not be getting adequate power. Open the front door, remove the magazine, grab the picker and gently move it back and forth a few times then try power cycling again.

It may be useful to go into the front panel admin options and run a restore defaults but I don't think that is necessary.
Charles E Nadeau

Curtis,

I managed to slightly move the picker with my hand. I couldn't move it back and forth because there was a lot of resistance. Is it possible that whatever lubricant was there evaporated/dried during the storage period?

I powered on the unit several time having the original error ("System failure write this down, and then power cycle IR Overrun!") message before I could have access to the menu after power cycling the unit. I set the clock and then recalibrated the library. It displayed this sequence of messages:

Hard Error
Failed to find the translate
home position. Timed out on
a command sent to the transport
controller

Pressed more ->
Hard Error
Failled REZERO

Pressed more ->
Hard Error
2008/10/21 17:43:24
Code 12, Quantifier 86
Sequence ....
86, 144, 145, 106, 101, 52

Pressed more ->
Hard error
Suggestion (1/3)
diagnostic test

Pressed more ->
Hard error
Suggestion (2/3)
Clear the tape path

Pressed more ->
Hard error
Suggestion (3/3)
cycle the tape library

Pressed more ->
Hard error
Field replaceable units
3. Motherboard

I powered down the unit, took all the tapes off and managed to move the picker toward the right side of the unit.
I powered up the unit and got this error message:

Hard error
Failed plunge motor test. IR
checksum error on a
command to the transport
controller

Pressed more ->
Hard Error
Failled REZERO

Pressed more ->
Hard Error
2008/10/21 17:43:24
Code 12, Quantifier 86
Sequence ....
86, 144, 145, 106, 101, 52

Pressed more ->
Hard error
Suggestion (1/2)
Check internal power
cable

Pressed more ->
Hard error
Suggestion (2/2)
Call service

Pressed more ->
Hard error
Field replaceable units
3. Motherboard

Removing the book that blocked the top window I could see that the picker was still at the position where I put it.
What should I do now?
Thanks again for your help!

Charles
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor
Solution

Sorry for the slow response. I've been out for a while.

The picker moves pretty hard because it has to turn the gear train. There never was lubricant so I don't expect it will move any more difficult now than when it was new. You will need to move it back and forth a few times to get the contacts good and clean. When the library is in normal operation it will automatically move the picker around to keep the contacts clean.

I'm not certain about the IR issues. I think I would focus on getting good power to the picker first.
Charles E Nadeau

Curtis,

Thanks for your reply. I didn't have time to take care of the library before, the end/beginning of 2008/2009 was busy.

The part of your last answer that helped me the most is "...move the picker around to keep the contacts clean...": I took time today to carefully clean the two copper rails on which the arm moves. I powered the unit after cleaning the rails and it passed all the tests. After years being in storage, the rails probably got oxidized.

Thanks you very much for your help!

Charles
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Glad to hear you're back up and running. Those libraries will run for a long time as long as they are used but don't store well.