5188 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems setting up an ESL9326

Andrew Hazell
Advisor

Problems setting up an ESL9326

Hi

I have brought an ESL9326 with 8 SDLT110/220GB Drives. It is LVD. The drives are all set up OK and the cables are correct but can anyone tell me how to connect it to the server? Which of the external SCSI connectors need terminators and where does the cables from the server go? AT the moment I can only get the library and two drives seen.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Normally this type of Library is connected to SAN, don't you have a fiber card in your library?

Andrew Hazell
Advisor

No fibre card on the library that I can see. I just wanted to get it connected so we could test it first.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Yes, the ESL9000 libraries can be configured for direct SCSI attach (no fibre routers).

For DLT/SDLT drives, typically 2 drives are connected per SCSI bus. For the library robotics controller, it is usually daisy-chained in with one pair, which matches what you are seeing. You just need to cable up the other drives to additional host HBAs.

The tricky part on the ESL9000 is the cables go to an intermediate "bulkhead", which makes it a hard to follow if they are changed from the default routing.

I'll attach a cabling diagram. I've seen cases where the second drive in each pair is terminated at the drive, and the cable does not run back to the bulkhead, so check your particular library.

In general, each host cable should go to the bulkhead, and from their it should go to one or two drives (daisy chained) and then be terminated either at the drive or at the bulkhead.
The journey IS the reward.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Here's the cabling diagram (attached)
The journey IS the reward.