108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problems using hp L&TT 3.5 to update MSL5026

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrew Riley
Occasional Advisor

Problems using hp L&TT 3.5 to update MSL5026

I'm trying to update the firmware of an MSL5026 library with SDLT drives.

The server I'm running is using Windows 2003 Server SP1.

When I run Library and Tape Tools and begin scanning for devices it finds several devices connected to server but never finishes the scan and so I never get to the page where I can update firmware and such.

A window pops up that says an I/O operation is taking a long time to complete and gives some info such as how long it has waited and what the max wait time is.

Thing is, I've let it keep running for quite a while, to the point that the current wait time is 3000+ seconds but the max time was only 180 seconds.

I've tried to manually input the addresses of the devices but L&TT seems to freeze when I do that.
15 REPLIES 15
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Re: Problems using hp L&TT 3.5 to update MSL5026

Andrew,

Is the library SAN connected or SCSI connected?

Did you shut down our back application services and is windows RSM disabled?
The journey IS the reward.
Andrew Riley
Occasional Advisor

The library is SAN connected and the backup app is disabled as well as RSM.

I see that that library is detected by L&TT but detection never ends ( the little indicator bar just keeps going )

thanks
andrew
David Ruska
Honored Contributor
Solution

Which driver are you using for your FC HBA? There were some LTT issues with the Storport driver used with a few HBAs.

I'll have to check if a fix was relesed. Are you on LTT 3.5 SR3?
Andrew Riley
Occasional Advisor

AH, I am using the storport driver for an Emulex 9802. I can try switching to the miniport version.

L&TT 3.5 SR3 is the version i'm using as well.
clay bowman
Frequent Advisor

If you do get it working, I wouldn't upgrade the firmware past v430. I upgraded to 507 twice and both times I ended up getting a password from tech support to downgrade it.
Andrew Riley
Occasional Advisor

Mostly I'm looking to upgrade the tape FW. They aren't consistent between the two drives in the unit. What's the problem with 507?
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Clay, we would be interested in hearing what issues you had with 5.07 firmware. If you want to email ltt_team@hp.com to my attention, we can look into it.

FYI, there is a 5.12 version of firmware available, but we have removed it from the web when a few customers had issues with the units continuously rebooting after the update. Engineering has found a problem that happens only on a small number of units. The root cause has been found, and a new version (>5.12) will be forthcoming.
clay bowman
Frequent Advisor

I was getting error messages on my library display, I think it was sending false messages to the robot arm. Make sure you stop all of your backup services prior to launching L&TT
Andrew Riley
Occasional Advisor

Seems that switching to the miniPort driver instead of the StorPort did the trick.

Upgrading FW as I type.

Thanks a bunch.

Just out of curiousity are there any plans to support StorPort in the future?

thanks
andrew