StoreEver Tape Storage
1753378 Members
4888 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems with HP DLT VS80 on Compaq Proliant 1600 nt4

Rob van der Luur

Problems with HP DLT VS80 on Compaq Proliant 1600 nt4

I still keep problems with this config. Installing the original HP NT4 drivers (or the SoftPaq SP19839)dont work because everytime i go into the controll pannel-tape devices, i must re install the HP vs 40/80 drivers because they are not loaded. In the NT4 event viewer i get eventid 7026 that the driver CBSDNT4 failed to load. But with HP Storageworks Library and tape tools everything OK (even updated the firmware) With the Quantum DLT drivers dlt2-5 for NT the driver is loaded and no error in the nt eventvieuwer, BUT the HP Tape Tools cant find the DLT because driver not supported !! Anyone has an idea ?
thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Hi Rob,

According to my information you need SP25875.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/18619.html

Leon
Rob van der Luur

Hallo Leon, also after installing this driver -the hp vs80 40/80- (first removed the old driver and after installing the new one i was asked to restart the system)still the same eventlog warning that the CBSDNT4 driver failed to load. And when i go to tape devices, the system is scanning and i am asked to install a driver... The drive is recognized bij the post as an hp vs80. What next ?
Thanks

grt. Rob.
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Hi Rob,

I suppose you have a recent HP support pack installed, to make sure you have a recent scsi bus driver?

Leon
Rob van der Luur

Leon, i have loaded the last 32 bits scsi driver (cp 002886) but still the same problem, but when ik take the Storageworks dlt/sdlt/vs tape drives driver instead of the
hp VS 80 40/80 GB Tape Drive then driver is automaticly started, and no problems with HP tape tools and no errors in NT4 eventlog. Because i am not on the production server i can not test arcserveit 6.6 right now, but when i start NT BAckup i get "Tape drive error detected; a tape device has been detected, and the tape driver started, the tape device is not responding Check that tape device power is on and cables are properly connected". We have an externa DLT drive and power is on and 78 pins scsi cable is connected...

grt. Rob.
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

L&TT is working fine, so i do not expect any hardware to be defective.
When you use Arcserve you don't need/want to have a driver installed because Arcserve uses it's own driver. So maybe give it a try with Arcserve and see what happens?

Leon
Rob van der Luur

Ok thanks Leon i will let you know.

grt. Rob.
Rob van der Luur

Mama mia, Tape E6300 windows NT Scsi port errors, truncated sessions and with a restore: session not found ! So i downloaded the 60 days evaluation version of Backup Exec 9.1 and after removing Arcserveit, everything was going fine :-) Only the DLT VS80 is slower than our old Quantum 7000, and BE takes a lot more resources than the old Backup Exec 6.1 so its time for some faster servers !

grt. Rob.
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

DLT7000 has a maximum native throughput of 5MB/s

DLTVS80 has a maximum native throughput of 3MB/s

So your conclusion about the slower performance is correct.

Leon