4141 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems with hp autoloader 24x6e (C1557A) and Windows 2000 Server SP2

Martin Lord
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

I've got issues that sound similar, they may or may not be related.

I'm using Windows 2000 server SP2, NTBackup.exe as my backup application, and a HP Surestore 6x40e (C5713A).

I was originally using microsofts 4mmdat.sys driver, but gave up because it wouldn't recognise my drive as an autoloader. So I'm now using the HP driver hpdat.sys. I'm having more success with this, but I'm not happy.

Removable Storage Manager (RSM) recognises the tapes (I've set it to do a full inventory when the magazine loads), so my problems are not as per Q269600. But I still have all kinds of trouble with the backup.

Sometimes the scheduled backup job does not start - for no obvious reason. When the job does run, sometimes it bombs out part way through. When it does complete, ntbackup will not display the catalogue of the backup set. To recover a single file I have to recover the whole backup set. I'm backing up about 40Gb which spans two DDS4 tapes.

Somewhere in the drive-firmware-driver-OS-RSM-ntbackup chain there is a problem. My next step will be to move away from NTBackup and use another backup application. Any advice on which ?
Paul Maillet

I am having the same problem. I was running W2K server SP2 and both NT backup and Arcserve 2000 Will not work! I tried downgrading to no Service Pack so that I could install the MS patch (attached) and the drive still refuses to work. When is HP going to take this seriously? Right now I am being forced to take partial backups on an old single DAT24 and I don't like it at all!!
Jeff_86

I have a customer with the same error: The operation was not preformed, no unused media available of this type.

I'm hoping SP3 will repair this issue.
Jason Xuereb

I have a 1533A and running Windows 2000 with Service Pack 2. I tried using tapeware and it said my heads needed cleaning so I bought a tape cleaning catridge. The catridge wont clean the heads because it doesnt recognise any media in the drive. The green light keeps flashing.

I have read this is a problem with Windows 2000 and the 1533A unit recognising media. I have waited 3 months for a solution and installing Windows NT 4.0 is not an option on the machine just to have the tape drive working. What amazes me is how Microsoft and HP both throw the blame on each other when neither has provided a solution to this problem.

I have yet to receive a response from Microsoft or HP on this issue.
Jeff_86

Try this: Start -> Run -> Tasks -> OK Find your backup and right click, properties, verify it has /um at the end. Worked for me :)
ICE_1

Hi folks!

from the looks of it I guess nobody found any way to fix the problem. Here, we just moved all the HP backup devices to old computers still running windows NT 4 SP5. There they work perfectly fine. So that's something eh? I mean it shows it's all related to Windows 2000 and HP backup devices together (we substituted them with others propduced by competitors and they work fine once you have installed SP2).
Now, anyway, microsoft release SP3 and I am gonna test it to see if it fix the problem. There's also Windows .Net Server RC1 around and I'll try to test it too...

That's all for now! Just I would have liked some attention and collaboration (like doing some testing and stuff) from HP. I know how professional they are and so I hope they do something soon, this is getting ridicolous!!

Bye
Stupidity is a dominant gene
ICE_1

Hi there!

well, bad news I'm sorry to tell you all. I finished to test SP3 for windows 2000 server with concern to the ntbackup problem pointed out in this thread. It doesn't improve in any way possible. So we are back on HP shoulders again. If you HP boys don't provide any help on this we are lost. So far the only thing I haven't try is to test the issue with Windows .Net RC1.
So far the only think that worked, I'm sorry to say, was to substitute the HP devices with other ones from other manufacturer.

bye
Stupidity is a dominant gene
Tina Karasch
Valued Contributor

Dear Users,

after reading through the info given in this thread, my advice is:
a.
read ->
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;267574
,as there's more than one reason for microsoft not to recognize media....
b.
pls ensure that you're using a hba supported by the OS and busw and its latest drivers.
c.
use the sw issued with the drive or some other
decent sw rather then nt/w2k backup.
d.
if all else fails -> put the autoloader into stacker mode by changing the al setting to 6.

:)tk
If U want to; let's get technical.... :P