1752422 Members
5624 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problems with hp autoloader 24x6e (C1557A) and Windows 2000 Server SP2

Gabriel Madoz
Frequent Advisor

Problems with hp autoloader 24x6e (C1557A) and Windows 2000 Server SP2

I have the same problem as the described on Q269600 (Technet in Microsoft). The difference is that I have already installed SP2 on Windows 2000.
The driver I use is hpdat.sys, it's the same as 4mmdat.sys described on this article (and is included on SP2)
The problem is the same reported there, the Removable Storage recognizes the drive, but dows not recognize any media in the drive. This happens with NT Backup, with other software as Omniback apparently it works well.

Any help would be useful, I suppose somebody has already experimented this problem.
Please, check this article Q269600

It's urgent,,,,please!!!
Gabriel Madoz
17 REPLIES 17
Gabriel Madoz
Frequent Advisor

Re: Problems with hp autoloader 24x6e (C1557A) and Windows 2000 Server SP2

Please, if somebody knows something about this problem let me know, please, it's urgent, PLEASE!!

I use Tape library and Tape Tools version 2.7 SR4 and here is the ticket it generated

Thanks
Gabriel Madoz
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

I've reviewed the support ticket from HP Library & Tape Tools that you've attached, and there are no signs of any problem with the hardware.

At this time I would assume the problem to be related to RSM or the backup application.

Microsoft tech support may be another resource to try.
Long_5

Hi!
i think that NTbackup on server 2k is not a full version of Varitas backup software, so it don't support Autoloader, if you want to use slots in autoloader you must by an module software of Varitas backup software or use anorther backup software such as OmnibackII, ARC serveIT...
you can get more information about the different driver in NT invirronment and driver in backup software on "HP suresore dat tape drives" CDROM included with your product.
Gabriel Madoz
Frequent Advisor

Gabriel Madoz
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

While I realize that reducing your memory to 128MB is not an acceptable solution, have you tried this suggestion just to verify that it actually does make a difference? It may be valueable information in order to determine if this TechNet article is even leading you down the right path.
Gabriel Madoz
Frequent Advisor

Yes, I have tried all things possible, in Windows 2000 Server boot.ini file I put /MAXMEM=128 without any change, also I tried this on Windows 2000 Pro with /MAXMEM=64 and didn't work too !!

Somebody also told me to disable the DAt24mm on device manager/media changer (or something like that, sorry but I have Windows installed in spanish.)

Any other suggestion?

Again, the question, does anybody have this kind of tape autoloader drive working with ntbackup???
Gabriel Madoz
Gabriel Madoz
Frequent Advisor

Any new suggestion to continue?

Does anybody know if this tape works with W2000 backup?

Thanks
Gabriel Madoz
john hall_3

I've had similar problems with W2k, Inster the loaded mag, shut down the server, switch off....on, on normal boot without a loaded mag W2k thinks its just a normal tape drive, with the mag it load the auto-loader driver,
NTBACKUP does work, you cannot use the /um command.
ICE_1

I have the same problem just with Sure Store HP C1533A. Considering the OS is windows 2000 servr SP2 and the problem is exactly what's in the Microsoft Q269600 article I think this is a problem either with the driver provided with win2000 or the hardware provided by HP.
I would be betting on the first one and so please provide a better driver we all could install and fix the problem.

When a backup solution doesn't work is a serious matter that and a business critical issue, so I hope HP support would provide a solution as soon as possible!
Stupidity is a dominant gene