4846 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Rack G4 DL380 with Ultrium 448 external tape drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Timmiss

Rack G4 DL380 with Ultrium 448 external tape drive

Hello, We have just installed a brand new DL380 with 5 80GB drives, 3 raided with 1 hot spare and one for system only.

The boot drive is in slot 0 with the other drives running from 1 to 4. We have tried connecting the tape drive to the onboard scsi but the machine does not see the device at all.

Another DL380 on site (with only 2 drives) on site sees the device ok.

Obviously there is an onboard scsi issue but why, and maybe I shouldn't use the onboard scsci anyway but get a separate card. If so which?

Thanks in advance
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Steve:

1st: Definitely do not use the onboard SCSI if you want the best performance from the tape Drive. The Array controller will limit the performace to the point that you wished you bought the extra SCSI HBA.

2nd: If your drive cage is set up for duplex operation, you can not use the external SCSI port. It does not work since the second channel is portedt o the front drive cage, slots 2, 3, 4 and 5. I have seen and heard of G4's coming standard with the drive cage in simplex mode as well as duplex mode, depending on where purchased and what services are provided by your vendor. You can safely switch to simplex mode if necessary to utilize the external port temporarily, but I do suggest getting an extra SCSI hba.

Is the other DL380 a G4?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Steve Timmiss

Many thanks for the reply Steven, yes, the other server is a G4.

I will purchase a card as you suggest. If you have a little more time I would appreciate you mentioning how I can tell if it is simplex or duplex and how would I switch to simplex should it be incorrect.

Steve
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Through software:

Open up ACU and look at the "more informaion" link. The drives will either be listed as all on one channel or split onto 2 channels.

By "looking" at the hardware:

Open up the top cover. Look at the area right behind the pcboard connecting the hard drives to the system. Behind the board you should see (or not see) a clear plastic clip with a terminator on it connected to the back side of the board. It is approximately behind the middle of where slot0/1 and slot2/3 are. Looking at the front...

S4 - S2 - S1
----------+---
S5 - S3 - S0

About where the "+" is, look at the back of the board.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)